Are 10lb pork spares to big?

Rick Soliman

TVWBB Pro
My butcher called she has 150lbs of spares for me at a bang up price. However they are around 10lbs she said and are meaty. Can the WSM hadle this? I need to know before I buy.

Cases of spares usually come packaged with two racks per cryovac package. These packages average 10 lbs or about 5 lbs per rack. Check and make sure she's not quoting 10 lbs per package.

I did two slabs of 5 and up last weekend. They came out great. 6.5 hours on the WSM.

One slab weighed about 7lbs before trimming and removing the tips. The other was about 5 before trimming.

Bon apetit

The last spares i did were huge. Don't remember the weight but no worries.
icon_smile.gif

I've been getting ~5-pounders of late that have been really consistant. Good meat and excellent marbling. If your butcher is getting the same I'd highly recommend them. Fat striation is what I look for in ribs and the ones I've been buying are picture perfect, and cook up even better.

I squeezed 8 racks of ribs on the WSM this past Saturday. Were probably 4 -5 lbs each after trimming. I rolled each rack and held together with bamboo skewers. 4 racks on each grate. I used 3-2-1 and switched bottom grate with top grate after the first 1 1/2 hours. I'm gonna try rolling them around the grate next time to see if I can get more on at 1 time.

10lbs per rack sound like wooly mammoth size ... from a huge animal ... I haven't tried any side ribs that big but I have tried huge back ribs so I wouldn't be scared to try the large side ribs ... you might might need to adjust your times a bit ... however I might not sign up for a case lot without trying some first

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'm gonna try rolling them around the grate </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'd be interested in how you make out.

Boy, at 10# each, that's 20# just for the lower loin rib section. Double that with some fudge facter for the upper and spine, and you're at 50# just in rib area.

Now *that's* a blue ribbon hog!

Or a Jurassic Pork.

OK, bad joke ... sorry.

Rick,

Who's your butcher. I'll be living in channahon for about 10 more days......... I don't want all those spares, but if you like you're butcher I'll give her some business.

Thanks,
Josh

Hey Art who has the 99c per pounders
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Art R:
I did two slabs of 5 and up last weekend. They came out great. 6.5 hours on the WSM.

One slab weighed about 7lbs before trimming and removing the tips. The other was about 5 before trimming.

Bon apetit </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back