Apply Apple Cider Vinegar Prior to Rubbing?

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
I was watching a cooking program on Comcast On-Demand this morning and they had the owner of "The Pig" in Los Angeles on discussing how he does his ribs. He said prior to rubbing he moistens them with Apple Cider Vinegar as it allows the rub to get into the meat.

Has anyone tried this?

All they need is a guy with a British accent and a cheesy infomercial and they would be ready for TV. But remember, this method only works with Texas BBQ rub, because it was specially formulated with YOU in mind.

Retail value is $500 but if you order today, we'll make it available for not $400, not $300, not $200 or even $100 . . .

Or perhaps Geraldo could do a 2 hour special leading up to the revelation of the "secret".

Apologies to the original poster for the digressions, but just about anything wet will make more rub stick to the meat. Not sure I see the superior benefit of apple cider vinegar, though. For pork, most use yellow mustard; Worcestershire for beef. Even just salting and waiting a bit before applying rub will pull moisture to the meat surface and allow more to adhere. And, I think, no matter what you do, there's not going to be all that much rub "getting into" the meat. Once the cook is under way, fat renders, juices flow, sugars carmelize, and the combination of all that leads to what we like about the texture and flavor of the bark of BBQ meats.

I banged my original post out while on my SmartPhone and should have waited until I was on a regular keyboard or I should have taken my time writing my original post. What this gentleman was saying was that the apple cider vinegar opens the "pores" of the ribs (do ribs have pores?) which allows the rub to permeate the meat.

Back