Applewood chips

Paul H

TVWBB Gold Member
A good friend gave me two bags of apple wood chips for my birthday. I was wondering has anyone used one of those metal boxes with the holes punched in them for smoking in the WSM. I think it would be a real hastle getting it in and out.I was thinking of doing some salmon with the wood this weekend. I know about the foil method for the chips but the wife bought me this box about two years ago and I haven't used it at all. Would sort of get her off my "butt"

I did use apple chips last weekend smoking some of the best Pork Butts ive ever cooked. Oh yes. I just buried some down in the unlit coals "Minion Method of course" and sprinkled some on top of the hot coals. Worked grrrrreat!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I was wondering has anyone used one of those metal boxes with the holes punched in them for smoking in the WSM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Paul,

I use the box with chips when cooking on my gasser. It adds faairly good smoke flavor in a short time for quick items (such as grilled salmon or scallops). Chips seem to burn up in about 45 minutes so are not good on grill for long cooks.
Ray

Well I have to tell you that I use chunks almost every cook but did the chip thing as I stated earlier just for the experience. I will stick with chunks cause it is best. That I agree on. I did use a bunch of chips, and it worked great so I disagree that it doesnt work on long cooks, its just not the cheapest way of doing it. Plus it may have worked well for me because I mixed the chips and unlit coals very well. But if you are doing a high temp cook on the Bullet, now that doesnt work near as well. They burn too fast. Taught myself that one yesterday. Threw them on top of the very hot coals and POOF, burned up in minutes. Still learning.

When I've needed to use chips, I prefer to make "foil-logs" by rolling up some foil with the chips inside. Poke a number of holes and place a few of these on/in your coals.

I agree - plain chips on hot coals does not generate much smoke.

I do have one of those cast-iron boxes, that I use in my gas grill at times. Even with that, I have the chips in foil. I find the box to be too cumbersome to use in the WSM.

Even though you're learning, you're still making some good BBQ!

Back