apples in water

You won't get any discerable flavor from anything you put into the pan, whether apples, beer, booze, or whatever.

Regards,
Chris

What about spices, like whole peppercorns, or bay leaves? I started using just water shortly after joining this forum, but am still curious about the spice aspect.

aww Chris you just broke a Canadian's heart
icon_frown.gif

I did apple juice once when making beef sticks. Thought the steam from my water pan would give the beef sticks and added flavor. Watched it real carefully figured i had an hour left. Went to the local watering hile for a soda. Came back smoke is just rolling out of the smoker. Thought hmmm the wife must have added some more wood chips. Went in and thanked her and she said she hadn't added any. Gasping I ran out to the smoker fo find that in 20 minutes 2 inches of apple juice in the water pan had turned to syrup lol. I could have cried so I have never done that again another god reason for always foiling your water pan.

I agree with Chris, the liquid in the water pan adds moisture - not flavor.

I was disappointed to learn this because I had always read where you could add various juices and wines to add various flavors to your meat.

Oh, well!
icon_smile.gif

I say go ahead and try it if you'd like, and report back to us if you detect any subtle nuances of flavor. Couldn't hurt (well---see Gary's post for clarification, since it sort of COULD hurt...!)

Water in the pan does not add moisture to what you're cooking. The longer a piece of meat is cooked, the drier it gets. If you think im wrong,on this, try boiling a piece of meat and see how dry it gets.

The only way to get a moist piece of meat is eitjer inject it with liquid or don't cook all the liquid out.

As far as adding spices or flavorings to the water, I can tell you that the only thing that comes off a boiling liquid is steam. Thats why the boiled apple juice left all the sugar and apple essence in Gary's water pan.

Al

I have tried onions, apples, bay leaves and more in the water pan. My suggestion is forget it! It might smell good while cooking, but none of that flavor seems to reach the meat.

One thing I would guess about using beer in the water pan...if you used just beer, and you were boiling off water for hours, you would be left with some very high potency "mash" at the end of the cook.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil R.:
One thing I would guess about using beer in the water pan...if you used just beer, and you were boiling off water for hours, you would be left with some very high potency "mash" at the end of the cook.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure youre just being funny, but the boiling point of alcohol is lower then that of water, so the alcohol would boil off sooner and leave u with non-alcoholic mash
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Water in the pan does not add moisture to what you're cooking. The longer a piece of meat is cooked, the drier it gets. If you think im wrong,on this, try boiling a piece of meat and see how dry it gets. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree that a water smoker will not add moisture to your smoke. IMO, cooking in a dry heat takes moisture away from the meat quicker than a wet/humid cooking environment. Yes, I will agree that no matter how you cook, over cooking anything will result in a dry product. After this past week or so of several smokes using water when I was used to sand, I felt the meat had more juice, and on the 2 picnics cuts, the bark was softer also. (Spares were the other item)
As far as putting something in the pan, apples in this case, I feel it is not going to help. I tried onions and garlic, among other things, and never could taste any difference.

Why not try cutting the apple, or onions in half and just setting them on the side of the grate where the heat is highest. Probably get some nice aromas if nothing else.

Back