Apple Pie Rub & Jolokia BBQ Sauce

Brandon Risko

TVWBB Member
I was at the Nashville Farmer's Market today picking up a share of my grass-fed beef CSA and came across a guy w/ a ton of rubs, sauces and salsas. I thought these selections looked interesting and they both had great flavors (albeit the Jolokia sauce is very hot). Any suggestions on how best to use these? I was thinking of the Apple Pie rub on ribs, but not sure what to sauce it with. I don't want to overpower the apple pie "sweetness". As for the Jolokia, well I just have no idea...I figure I can try it on just about anything, but those ghost peppers are HOT! I look forward to going back up next month and maybe trying some of his other offerings.

FWIW, the Apple Pie rub includes the following ingredients.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI>Salt <LI>Brown Sugar <LI>Apples <LI>Chipotle <LI>Cinnamon <LI>Garlic <LI>Onion <LI>Paprika <LI>Other Spices [/list]

CameraZOOM-20120512131420497.jpg

For the rub, I agree ribs or any other pork cut would probably be well suited due to the sweetness. You could also try it on chicken. I was thinking of grilled wings with this rub on it. The Jolokia sauce I really have no idea as it really depends on the flavor(s) in it and heat level. Some sauces now are just made to blow the top of your head off which I find to be a complete waste of product and money.

Paul

Bhut Jolokia (Ghost Chili) is very spicy. It's 1m on the scoville scale! I am not sure how diluted the heat is, but the chili is very deep smokey flavor. Kinda like a habanero but less sour. Combining it with something sweet like apples or pineapple to cut it should also work well.

mix bbq sauce and apple jelly together in a sauce pan until the jelly is completely melted, add a pinch of the rub at the end.

glaze ribs with sauce at towards the end of your cook.

Thanks for the suggestion guys. The sauce definitely has a smoky flavor, almost like chipotle, but the heat is not overwhelming. I will give some of these ideas a try on some ribs I am smoking next weekend.

Back