appetizer style smoked salmon...meat temp question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron F

TVWBB Fan
What temp should I take the appetizer style salmon to? I've cooked it before and never paid attention, just took it off when it looked done. I'd like it to be more on the dry side, something you can just pick at with your fingers....

Ron

Press gently with your finger. It will be just firm. You can then use a thin-bladed knife for a visual check if you wish, gently separating the filet a little.

You can also cut your salmon into pieces before smoking to get more of those dry edge pieces.

If you come up with variations on the recipe would you consider adding them to this thread?

I don't have an answer to your temp question, I've cooked mine as little as perhaps 2 hours and as much as 5 hours and I thought it was all great!

I don't have an answer to your temp question, I've cooked mine as little as perhaps 2 hours and as much as 5 hours and I thought it was all great![/QUOTE]

Ya know, me too. It just always seems to come out right no matter what!

ron

I just remembered something.. The first time I ever smoked salmon went like this: All I had at the time was a Little Chef smoker(remember those? I think they still sell them). I followed a buddy of mines recipe: Fill a bowl with water, put enough salt in it to float and egg, and a cup of brown sugar. Well my first mess up was using table(iodized) salt. Second mistake was forgetting to wash off the brine. I also had no idea on how long to cook it. So I just cooked it till I thought it was done. It came out VERY salty and VERY brittle/dry. It wasn't the best but I found out it went pretty good with beer......

Ron

Ron,

I cook my salmon differently than is done in the "appetizer style" salmon on this site.

1) I cut my fish into 2" wide pieces. I try to use pieces of similar thickness.

2) I brine the pieces for 1 hour in the brine. I rinse the pieces off throughly but quickly under cold water.

3) Pat the pieces dry with a towel and place of a rack. Put fish in fridge overnight.

4) Smoke the Salmon at LOW TEMPS (140-160 degrees) for about 90 minutes.

5) Increase the temp of the cooker to 180-200 degrees. The cooker should never get over 210 degrees.

6) Once the fish reaches 150 degrees for atleast 30 minutes, it is done. If you like your salmon drier, just maintain an temp that while keeping the fish around 150 degrees.

7) I recommend that you start tasting about every hour after it hits 150 degrees until is dry enough for you.

8) For salmon, I dig alder for my wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back