Appetizer/Munchie ideas during a cook?

B Mann

TVWBB Member
Guys,

Slow cooking a butt, shoulder, or brisket tomorrow night and was looking for an appetizer/munchie that I might be able to take off and munch on a few hrs into the cook. I did see a few thin strips of rib tips at the market, but wasn't sure how long they would take at 230?

I've done countless ABTs but was looking for some meat to nibble on other than sausage that might not take that long and pair well with the accompanying smoker cooking beers.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Hotdogs for me.
icon_wink.gif

Jerky. It cooks up real fast. Just add a few strips whenever you get the munchies. Yeah, it extends the cook awhile with all the lid lifting.

I usually do some smoked jalapenos, stuffed with garlic herb cream cheese. It is a shame to wase all that good smoke!

Great ideas... thanks so much guys. I might do a combo of some of the ideas: uncase some chorizo sausage and mix it with the garlic herb cream cheese and use that mixture to stuff some japs.

Meatballs and chicken wings are also a great idea i never thought of.

Pork neck bones are really cheap and good. You can cook them in a couple hours. Chicken thighs or legs are great, and I love turkey legs.

One of these days I'm going to throw on some crazy stuff like hearts, tongues, or kidneys. I always see them, but chicken out. My wife would hate it.

Ernie,

Interested in the pork neck bones... do they finish like a short rib texture after a couple ours? or are they more of a chewy steak consistency?

Neck bones finish up very nice and tender, like the meat around the bone of a pork chop. The variety is nice too. You get some tender bites, some fatty bites, some lean bites.... They are easy to grab and nibble. I love them, but I tell my wife and picky guests they are called "pork cut-ups" because they would say neck bones are gross. Everybody loves pork cut-ups... Shhh!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ernie D:
Neck bones finish up very nice and tender, like the meat around the bone of a pork chop. The variety is nice too. You get some tender bites, some fatty bites, some lean bites.... They are easy to grab and nibble. I love them, but I tell my wife and picky guests they are called "pork cut-ups" because they would say neck bones are gross. Everybody loves pork cut-ups... Shhh! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ernie,
My dad would not eat chicken, no way. So when my mom made dumplins she made them with pork neck bones. I'm gonna have to make some of those myself one of these days, they sure were good. I'm betting I'm the only one that will eat them around here, unless.....maybe I can call them cut-ups and dumplins and see how that works.

You are welcome to use the term "pork cut-ups" I think they will love it. People change the name of fish all the time to make it sound more appetizing.... Why can't we change the name of a delicious cut of pork.

I definitely need to make some pork-n-dumplins myself very soon. I have never had it, and it sounds great.

BBQ nuts!
Warm nuts in a pan til the oils release.
Toss with butter n favorite BBQ Rub.
Return to cooker, stir every 5-8 minutes til toasty goodness is achieved.
Adjust salt/sugar as needed before serving.

Well bacon store bought with thyme,rosmary and black pepper.

Then roll em up put on a skewer(easy handling) and u have a nice snack during the cook

Bless//Me

Back