Anyone used their WSM for grilling?

Erik Snyder

TVWBB Fan
My Weber gas grill just ran out and I'm wondering if anyone has used their WSM for high heat grilling of burgers, sausage etc? I guess you could just leave all the vents open...

This is may sound rough so please don't take it that way, sometimes e-communication is tough. What exactly is confusing to you?

If I read Bryan's post correctly he uses the bottom grate in it's standard position when grilling on his WSM. With no water pan in place.

I use mine for grilling often.
A full chimney of Kingsford - plus a few extra - will get me temps up to 400 at the top vent. Lump will get even hotter.
Simply take the water pan out, open the vents and grill on the top rack.

Hi,

I understand Erik's confusion. The pictures are from above and do not make it easy to visualize the configuration.

The old Weber instruction suggest mounting the charcoal grate high in the WSM to grill on top.

In "Turning up the Heat" you use the fire ring to hold the top grill just 3"s above the charcoal.

LAScott does not explain configuration.

For the Egg Configuration, remove the center section, place the charcoal in the normal position and use the cover to grill.

Is that correct?

Tim

I wasn't too clear on the grilling instructions either. Couldn't visualize which grill to use. also, wasn't too comfortable grilling right above the coals (i.e. if you put the grate atop the coal ring).

Anyhow, I realized that I could get high heats on the top grill somewhat by accident. I was looking to slow roast some sausages on the top grill, a 3/4 full lit ring of coals and no water bath. Turns out the heat was too intense and the sausages started popping, so I removed them. But I did some kebabs, and they turned out really nice, wich a nice char on the outside.

Bottom line, you can use either grill, no water bath, just play it by ear depending on the temp your coals are throwing off.

Originally posted by Erik Snyder:
My Weber gas grill just ran out

icon_eek.gif

Am I the only person on this forum who is totally Anti Gas?? I feel that even if its grilling, you are sacraficing flavor, no?

Originally posted by Tim Harris Sr.:Am I the only person on this forum who is totally Anti Gas?? I feel that even if its grilling, you are sacraficing flavor, no?

I highly doubt that - I share your opinion when it comes to my cookin'. My friend who turned me on to charcoal is back on the gas, cooking on a Q200 or something like that. Whether it's prime steaks, veggies, Pork Chops, or London Broil, it's not just dinner, it's an event.

But for my cooking, I like the smoke.

Originally posted by LarryR:
If I read Bryan's post correctly he uses the bottom grate in it's standard position when grilling on his WSM. With no water pan in place.
That's correct. I also leave the lid hang off by about a 1/4" if high temps are in order for the cook/grill. So easy, and works so good as grill like this. Just get yourself a pair of 16" tongs for easy access to the lower grate.
icon_wink.gif
No need to over think the whole grilling process on the WSM. Put the lit coals where they normally go, and lower grate in its normal spot, and grill away. Use the top grate instead of the lower grate if lower temps are desired. And no need for the water pan since higher temps are what you're after.
icon_wink.gif

Back