Anyone used Aspen Wood?

Dave P.

Has anyone ever used Aspen for smoking?

I just had to cut down about 20 Trembling Aspens - (which is pretty much the only hardwood we have around here).

I know the native peoples in this area used it in place of alder for jerky. But the jerky I have tasted was really bitter. Perhaps that's more in the sytle of preparation than the wood. Comments?

I would like to be in a place where Aspen grows. The wood itself is very similiar to Alder. I would try some alder with a throw away food item like a burger or a sausage to see if you like it before ruining a big cook. Probably just a small amount first.
Lets us know how you like it.

Dave,

I have taken down some quaking aspens on my property. I used it in the fireplace and it was really stinky wood. I would not cook with it.

Jim

Aspen is a soft pulp wood, generally a no-no for smoking. It is generally used for paper makeing and other renewable wood resources because the trees grow to mature size in 20 years, not the 50-100 of years like great hardwoods. IF your looking for wild smokewoods a good rule of thumb is if it has nuts or fruit on it you are good to go. Use the aspen (poppel) for fireplace or your outdoor fore pit but I would keep it away from the smoker.

Back