Anyone up yet??

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Just laid down a brisket & two butts for tonights dinner.
icon_smile.gif
Bringing the WSM up to temp.! 4:30am Central. Probably the most peace & quite I'll have the rest of the day!

good morning Scott. Getting my 2 birds ready right now enjoying some blue mountain jaimacan coffee
icon_biggrin.gif
. 100% chance of rain today but i have a deck with a screen room i can cook on so no problems.

seeyaa
Jeff

I've been a little leary about setting up my smoker on the deck, at least the chimney/lighting part. I guess I could get some large drip pans. I have mine up on the patio under the deck, which shields it pretty well from the rain. This morning it works out great because our basement walks out to the patio and I've been able to stay down here and quiet, keeping the kids to sleep as long as possible. But at some point it would be nice to just walk out to the deck off the kitchen to tend it.

uhhh ohhh...I hear my 3 year old!!!! Gotta go run a diversion!!!!

Well been up awhile now but doing an easy smoke today. 6lb of meat loaf. One BBQ sauce the other just ketchup. Smoked Devil eggs, Cheesy smashed potatoes, dinner rolls, corn on the cob, and dutch apple pie. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

Up on the west coast, here! Not cooking 'til later today, though. I still smell like smoke from the Xmas Eve ribs, though.
icon_smile.gif

Happy day to all!

R

Merry Christmas to everyone here! I have had this 8lb butt on since yesterday at 4 and it's still only at about 175. I just cranked up the temp to 325 right now so hopefully I can still have this thing ready by lunchtime. It's 6:48 a.m. PST.

Stressing is starting to build....

Merry Christmas Everyone.

Got up at 8 a.m. this morning to do my first Piedmont double water pan run for the first time. I'm doing strips of ribs. So far everything is going great. It will be nice not deal with the messy water.

Hope everyone got their food served up without incident!
icon_smile.gif
I had to....gulp....finish in the oven. But, pride must be set aside to feed the family and 12 guests we had! I took the brisket & butts off at 3:30pm and we were only in the 170 range..aahh. So panic set in and everything went in the oven at 375 until it came up to temp, then out to rest for 1/2 hour before tearing into it. Everything came out fine, not quite as good obviously if they had finished on the WSM, but very good. The butts could have certainly rendered more fat away, but it was flavorful and all pulled easily except for the deeper portions, but they got over 190 inside..just too fast.

This was my first cold weather smoke and probably didn't keep my temps up quite they way I should have. Although at 11 hours I would have expected to be more in the 180 range. I figure you have two options on the butts, either put them on the day before and let em roll for 18 hours or go for 10-12 hours and just ramp the heat up a lot toward the end and take them up to 195'ish.

I have to admit, brisket used to be my favorite, but those butts I think have taken over the top spot. Good stuff!!

Back