anyone tried only fire grate system - turn kettle into a smoker, $89 on amazon?

thanks, imo the new weber product, which looks for all the world like a well known competing product, does not facilitate low and slow smoking for an experienced user. they say as much in their marketing speak.

Not tried but, this concept is not really new, and I pretty much understand what and how I want to do things. Besides, where in blazes would I put it!?
not sure what you mean, the concept is present with every kamado smoker as well as the wsm where the water pan acts as a heat deflector. again, i guess i’m missing your point, you would put it in your weber kettle.

Clear to me you need one more Kettle
No, No, No!! Enabler! Besides if I did, I just get a WSK like yours!😉
not sure what you mean, the concept is present with every kamado smoker as well as the wsm where the water pan acts as a heat deflector. again, i guess i’m missing your point, you would put it in your weber kettle.
Exactly, it’s in every kamado and the heat deflection is in the WSM I just have no need for the thing. Yes, I could put it in my kettle but, I have no need for it, so, I’ll spend that money on another couple of briskets.
“Just because you can, doesn’t mean you have to.” I’ve got enough stuff that will do what that does without buying one so, for me it’s just another “thing”.
Does that clear up any confusion?

thanks, imo the new weber product, which looks for all the world like a well known competing product, does not facilitate low and slow smoking for an experienced user. they say as much in their marketing speak.
It is a heat deflector for low and slow. Gives you full use of your grates.

I have one that I haven't used in over a year. Loved the concept at first, but it's not better than using a WSM and I can do indirect just fine already with my kettle. Plus I found that the lowered part comes low enough you can't have any coals above the top of a standard Weber coal basket. Wasn't something I used nearly as much as I thought I would.

It is a heat deflector for low and slow. Gives you full use of your grates.
are we still talking about the weber product? here’s a photo of using it low and slow. otoh, the advantage of the product i linked in my OP offers to do just that.

Attachments

• IMG_7807.jpeg
    IMG_7807.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 4
I have one that I haven't used in over a year. Loved the concept at first, but it's not better than using a WSM and I can do indirect just fine already with my kettle. Plus I found that the lowered part comes low enough you can't have any coals above the top of a standard Weber coal basket. Wasn't something I used nearly as much as I thought I would.
thanks, perhaps I should have been clearer, let’s pretend the product target audience is people that don’t own a wsm. for people that don’t own a wsm, do you think the product facilitates better/longer low and slow cooks than one can achieve without it? and on the charcoal issue, what if users chose not to use coal baskets?

best,

Last edited:
If one wants the “lower slower” technique, I’d use a snake method. Maybe going around the baskets? Never tried that but it would keep the snake a little tighter? Again, never tried that, I don’t think I need to learn that trick. Grandchildren gave me the HD 304 SS baskets a few years ago and I almost always use them. For a very long time I‘ve been a basket case.🤔
For clarification, the snake method has proven to many that amazingly long cook times can be achieved without baskets. I’ve never done it and have gotten solid eight hour cook time with vent management and baskets. Clear as mud, ain’t it!

are we still talking about the weber product? here’s a photo of using it low and slow. otoh, the advantage of the product i linked in my OP offers to do just that.
Yes. All I offered was a less expensive product for LAS. It turns your kettle into a smoker.

Kettle Zone Cooking System for 22 Inch Weber Kettle Grills - Turn your grill into a smoker, oven, and more https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KY2XFF4/?tag=tvwb-20

I have had the aura kettle zone cooking system for a while now and love it. I have never used the onefire version, but after taking to @MikeLucky about the space issues with the system design of the onefire, I would recommend the aura to anyone. I have posted cooks with it for the last 2 ish years here. Works great and I love it!

thanks, perhaps I should have been clearer, let’s pretend the product target audience is people that don’t own a wsm. for people that don’t own a wsm, do you think the product facilitates better/longer low and slow cooks than one can achieve without it? and on the charcoal issue, what if users chose not to use coal baskets?

best,
Yes Jeff I have done briskets and pork butts with my arua and still have charcoal to spare, the deflect plate does a great job and I have been able to maintain consistent low and slow temps for hours. It is a great product for some who does not have a smoker and wants to do low and slow cooking. Like I just posted I can't speak to the onlyfire, but I high recommend the aura.

Back