anyone travel w/ a OTG kettle?

Don NICKLES

TVWBB Member
I want something bigger than a smokey joe. Can the OTG legs come off easily and do you think it would be a good solution for a few road trips per year?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don NICKLES:
I want something bigger than a smokey joe. Can the OTG legs come off easily and do you think it would be a good solution for a few road trips per year? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Take mine camping all the time. We have a 5th wheel rig so I just break it down and strap it in the truck bed with a couple of bungee cords. Over the kids April vacation I had both my kettle and WSM for a week long trip out in Gettysburg PA.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don NICKLES:
Can the OTG legs come off easily </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mine pull right out of the holes. Sometimes they fall out when I move the grill.
icon_biggrin.gif

I took both my OTG and WSM down to a river house we rented for the 4th. I just took the lid and grill/charcoal grates off/out of the OTG, turned it upside down in the back of the truck and secured it with a bungee cord. Worked great.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Can the OTG legs come off easily </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mine pull right out of the holes. Sometimes they fall out when I move the grill.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh that happened to me the other day when I was putting away my OTS, the front leg fell right out and the dang ash pan dumped all over my foot!
icon_mad.gif
icon_razz.gif

I loaded up my OTG and WSM for a 4th of July picnic. First time I've ever taken them anywhere, and like everyone else, no problems. I used a little WD-40 to loosen up the legs, but it came apart quick. Moving it gave me a good reason to give it a thorough cleaning. I was actually surprised at how easily the WSM travelled. Biggest problem was that my car started to smell like grill, which got to be a bit much.

It was so nice, too, having it set up in a park next to the river, as opposed to the back yard.

I am kind of thinking the silver model (w/ no ash catcher) will be easier to move around and break apart. If anyone has had both does this seem right?

I do a lot of on-site cooking, so I take my stuff apart all the time. I leave the legs on, just turn the grills over in the truck bed. The gold is the easiest to move around since the ash pan doesn't go anywhere. The WSM I usually take in two pieces, the tid and middle section, and then the bottom upside down. I've taken all my toys more than once, 3 One Touch and my WSM and they all travel easily.

I'm competing and using an old Red Silver that I break down and stack on top of my 26" drum smoker and store the legs with a WSM stashed inside a Rubbermade trash can.

legs come off easily...too easy imo ....if your purchasing....go for the 18in ots/otg and cut the legs to 7 1/2 inches ....for a 22 you can cut the legs to 8 1/2 inches....still leaves clearance for otg ash catcher ...extra legs can be purchased from Weber and the front leg will give you 2 modified legs .... 13 inch bungee cord secures either rig !!!

IMG_0230.jpg

I know this might sound crazy, but I have travelled with my OTS fully assembled in the truck bed strapped down through the handle on the lid. I mean that the lid was on the kettle and the kettle was in the bed standing up with the wheels in the groves of the bed in a stable way. I ran a ratchet strap from one side of the bed, through the top handle loop, and then to the other side. Ratchet it down nice and snug and it stayed there for two 12-hour drive days. About 1300 miles.

I put the tool rack and chimney starter inside the kettle first too. The ash pan didnt go anywhere either.

NO PROBLEM if you secure it well.

I'm getting ready for a trip to Maine for a family reunion. I'm gonna make a crate for the WSM,so it will travel ok from NC with all the other camping goodies. The missus told me the other day she wants to buy my birthday present early,for the trip. I'm getting a OTS! Yes! I'm just gonna leave it in the box for travellin until I get back.

I bought a 22" OTS. I am glad they didn't have a 26" sitting there to tempt me because that would be too big to travel with. It does look pretty easy to pull the legs off. I thought I would get the Gold but this looks much easier for travel and I already have a thermo and different grates etc. I have two road trips to the Outerbanks so I am relieved that I won't have to use some 15 year old gas POS at the rental. I am also going to assemble it there.

So now I have 4 weber grills and at some point I would like a 26" kettle to go along with this one and my WSM, performer and Genesis Gold C. And a 26" performer if they upgrade it. Or a Kettle Ranch if they update it. Seems perfectly normal to me.

Back