Anyone smoke ducks?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good question. I've been thinking of doing these myself.

I'd be interested in any comments on domestic duck since these are so much fattier than wild ducks.

I posted this question awhile ago...the general concensus was that the high fat content of a domestic duck did not require a slow smoke technique and would be better served on a grill.
Now game ducks...that's another story...

There is a traditional chinese dish where you smoke duck with mixture of tea leaves, rice and brown sugar.

I've tried doing a version on my weber with reasonably successful results.

Traditionally the duck is steamed first, then smoked in a wok, then deep fried to crisp the skin, but in my version I have taken a few liberties, and give it about 1 hour on the weber, then finish it off over a grill.

Using a pair of poultry shears, butterfly the duck as you would for a chicken.

You get a duck and give a wash, them dry it inside and out with a paper towel. You coat it with a rub made out of 1 tablespoon of chinese five spice powder or ground szechwan peppercorns and 2 tablespoons of salt and let it sit in your refrigerator overnight.

Prepare a smoking mixture of 1/2 cup each of black tea, brown sugar and white rice. Normally this would be done in a foil lined wok, but for a barbecue I place the smoking mixture on two layers of aluminium foil and fold it into a parcel to avoid the brown sugar making a mess in my barbecue. I prick the top of the foil parcel and smoke the duck in the weber for 45-60 minutes, then finish the duck on a charcoal grill to crisp the skin and finish it off.

In China this would be served with peppercorn salt,which is equal quantities of black pepper and salt toasted in a wok or fry pan then ground to a powder with a mortar and pestle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back