Anyone smoke any tuna yet?

SteveF (Alpine)

TVWBB Fan
I’ve only ever smoked tuna in the WSM, so I’m curious if anyone’s done it on the SF yet? Just planning on a brine with salt, sugar and brown sugar at this point. Alternately a teriyaki or ginger sesame marinade is usually pretty good too. I’ve got some great yellowfin in the freezer I want to give a shot. Not trying to make a meal, more of a snack like beef jerky. :cool: 🍻

I have smoked a ton of tuna, none on a pellet smoker.

I have to disagree that it's a waste of "wonderful fish". in hawaii they make jerky out of yellowfin!

When I was commercial fishing for albacore we'd occasionally catch yellow fin too. Those went straight into the galley.

Back to the albacore, some of the best parts smoked are the bellies and the jowls. I do a dry brine 4:1 Kosher salt & brown sugar. 6-8 hours. Rinse season with whatever I feel like then smoke.

Usually use Alder or apple for tuna. Kiawe is also good.

Sorry but it seems like a waste of wonderful fish.
When you double limit on the first day out, you've got to start getting creative;)

Honestly, I'm not a fan of tuna fully cooked, so that pretty much leaves raw, seared, ceviche and smoked for me, and I love it smoked.

I have smoked a ton of tuna, none on a pellet smoker.

I have to disagree that it's a waste of "wonderful fish". in hawaii they make jerky out of yellowfin!

When I was commercial fishing for albacore we'd occasionally catch yellow fin too. Those went straight into the galley.

Back to the albacore, some of the best parts smoked are the bellies and the jowls. I do a dry brine 4:1 Kosher salt & brown sugar. 6-8 hours. Rinse season with whatever I feel like then smoke.

Usually use Alder or apple for tuna. Kiawe is also good.

That's funny, I remember trips with nothing but Albacore and yellowtail and trips with nothing but Yellowfin and Yellowtail, but not really any more Albacore around to speak of...

Awesome, thanks! Moving forward with a brine(y)

Back