Anyone not use Minion Method?

Jamie B

TVWBB Member
Hi. Does anyone not use the Minion Method on longer cooks? If so, what's your technique? Fuel type? How add fuel? How often? How long do you smoke? etc. Just curious. Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jamie B:
Hi. Does anyone not use the Minion Method on longer cooks? If so, what's your technique? Fuel type? How add fuel? How often? How long do you smoke? etc. Just curious. Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Let me tell you something, Jamie. Last weekend I cooked some wonderful butts. Heck, we're still munching on the leftovers!

I used the MM to start, then when it was time to add coals I just dumped some unlit K onto what was left. I didn't know better....

DUMB, DUMB, DUMB!

The temp went nutty high when everything lit and wouldn't come down until I closed everything off for awhile. Even the top vent got closed.

I'm sure someone will have a good suggestion for you, but don't do what I did. It's dangerous.
icon_redface.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
then when it was time to add coals I just dumped some unlit K onto what was left. I didn't know better....

DUMB, DUMB, DUMB!

The temp went nutty high when everything lit and wouldn't come down until I closed everything off for awhile. Even the top vent got closed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
When I have to add fuel on a cook, I just dump some unlit right on top of what little coals are left like you did. Been doing it that way as long as I can remember, never ever had issues with that method. IMO it's no different than the MM, only the lit is on the bottom and unlit on the top. But it still takes a good amount of time to get all that unlit going so, can't figure out what happend on your cook? Did you leave/have the mid section off the bowl for any amount of time after dumping in the unlit?

I too have had to add more unlit and had no problems.

The only thing I can think of is if you left the midsection off for too long while reloading. If you have a hot bed of coals and you add more fuel to the top with unlimited oxygen supply you could have problems... but that would still take a few minutes. Did you remove the midsection and add a few briq's at a time or did you have a chimney ready to just "dump and run"??

I frequently add more charcoal mid cook but usually only 20-30 briquettes. I haven't noticed a big spike either.

I first used the regular method, but it takes so long to get the temps down...MM is the ultimate lazy-q...just check it after 20-30 minutes, adjust, check again 15-20 minutes later and you are usually good to go. Being lazy, it is the only method I use now.

I use the MM for longer cooks(8 plus hours). For something that's only gonna take 4-6 hours,I usually just fill the chimney,light it and dump it on aanother chimney full in the chamber. Other than last week,I haven't had any problems. The son wants ribs,so I'll let you know how they turn out.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I use the MM when I have lump coal but sometimes I have to bite the bullet because being in Brooklyn, NY, getting my hands on lump coal is not always possible so I have to use K which lets off this foul odor when using the MM.

Just this morning I had to refuel for the WSM while I have some pork shoulder on there. Using the MM with K just doesn`t smell good.

So I use the MM but I would suggest using lump coal when you do.

Ribs were fantastic!! AND,the WSM still had some heat 5 hours after I took them off! I love that little black thing! But next week I'm doing a brisket,so I will be doing MM. Oh yeah, my son (and everyone else) said they were the best I've done yet.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back