Anyone modify the top grate retaining tabs? Rib catastrophe

There was no water in the pan for my rib catastrophe, so all they got was a little sizzle on the aluminum wrap.

And yes, the bottom grate would have prevented the other rib from going into the abyss, but I took it out as it was one less thing to clean from the drippings.

IMO, I shouldn't have to worry about the top grate tilting in, and I've made sure of that now on my own.

The grate shouldn't fall of course. But, what I do if I'm cooking on the upper grate and not using the lower, I put a drip pan on the lower grate, and don't use the water pan at all.

Is it only me, but the two grates of a slightly different diameter. Had the same accident myself, until I noticed. The top grate is slightly larger, well it is on my wsm. No probs since I realised.

Is it only me, but the two grates of a slightly different diameter. Had the same accident myself, until I noticed. The top grate is slightly larger, well it is on my wsm. No probs since I realised.

Hm, yes they are.. thought everyone knew but...

Is it only me, but the two grates of a slightly different diameter. Had the same accident myself, until I noticed. The top grate is slightly larger, well it is on my WSW. No problems since I realized.

I guess that is a common mistake to folks new to WSMs. I didn't realize it myself until I noticed the grate handles were differently shaped, and it caused me to measure the two. I assume Weber made them that way so the bottom grate would slide in easier.

So no screws and washers then ;)

No - because the top grate won't sit on the bottom tabs, too big. So while a newbie may be confused at first, it's obvious once you try to put the larger top grate in the bottom.

For my rig bolts and washers were the fix to out of round barrel section.

I had the some with my oval middle section, I just gave it a bear hug and its circular again. I'm referring to wsm ;)

Back