Anyone know the nutritional value of cooked BBQ meat?

Mike B

Since most of the fat renders out from the slow cook, I would think that the finished product would be low in fat. If anyone knows, I would love to hear about it.

It isn't.

Since the cuts used for barbecue are significantly higher in fat than leaner cuts (butt vs. trimmed loin, say) to start with, they stay significantly higher in fat when cooked. Unless one dramatically overcooks the cut in question most of the fat does not render 'out' of the meat. If that were to happen the meat would be dry and inedible, or nearly so.

Broiled or baked pork chop, 21g

Roasted pork shoulder, 21g

It annoys me to no end that pork has been bred to be leaner over the past many years.

Due to my wife's health/diet concerns I have had to learn far more about food and nutrition then I ever thought I would.

I think what people often overlook is that these are NATURAL fats and on their own it's not a bad thing. Your body NEEDS fat and often times people who diet get terrible cravings because they aren't getting the fat they need.
Whether the piece of meat has 10 or 15g of fat is nothing if you are going to put 400 calories of BBQ sauce on it and eat it in a white flour roll!!

My wife's breakfast was a great example of the effect of fat/protein on hunger and cravings. She makes a homemade yoghurt and fresh fruit smoothie virtually every day. She found that within an hour she was starving and it was still too early for lunch. The fix was to start adding half an Avocado to the smoothie. Now she finds she has no problem lasting until lunch.

Nutritionally, Pork Shoulder doesn't look so bad. Brisket, well, um Wow! That's much higher in fat and calories than I expected.

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Brisket, well, um Wow! That's much higher in fat and calories than I expected.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Maybe, but consider the healthy fats you're consuming
icon_wink.gif

Not a scientific, nor a knowledgeable response, but true none the less, Anything that tastes good cant be good for you.

Thanks guys the info helps. I dont eat BBQ every day but do enjoy it. I made my first pulled pork the other day and froze most of it. I am going to try some chicken recipes. I usually do them on my kettle but will try smoking some as well.

I have my last 20lb to go. I work out so the mono fats and protein are good. I make my BBQ sauce kinda thin and spicy so I dont have to put a ton on.

I might be in a minority here, but I have never been convinced and don't believe that fat is bad for us. I believe it is the food we eat together as a whole that makes the most difference.

The Eskimos have lived on whale blubber for long periods of time, without signs of being unhealthy.

Body builders use a non-mixed meal plan when they are in training for a competition. If they would only stick to that rather than use steroids, the world would be a much better place.

I certainly wouldn't call myself skinny, but I love meat and fat, and I would suspect my intake on both those are higher than the average person. I also love eggs, with real butter.

Certainly this doesn't explain why my cholesterol is not bad (good is 36, so it is 4 points low of what they prefer, but total is under 180), nor that my blood pressure is 128/82. Maybe it is just genetics and I'm lucky, but since I like protein so much, I guess I'll just enjoy it until I see a problem.

fat, it's the other white meat...
icon_biggrin.gif

Back