Anyone know Smoky Jon in Madison, WI?

Mark Pepelea

TVWBB Fan
I am hoping to give it a try soon and was wondering if anyone knew Jon. I would like to talk him into doing up a "sampler platter" for me and a couple of friends which is not on the menu which says no substitutions. I am planning on giving a call to ask, but I was wondering if anyone knew him so I could drop a name and maybe get to see some behind the scenes stuff. Regards.

Smoky Jon's is the name of the restaurant and the owner is "Smoky" Jon Olson. I have not yet been to the place but it gets great reviews from people that like BBQ. It seems to win best ribs in Madison every year in the Madison magazine poll. I will post back since I am supposed to go there in the next two days

The last two times I went to his place for carry out, only the pulled pork was decent. This was a year ago. The ribs and brisket suffered from being in the steam table too long. When I bit into the ribs, one of the bones kind of crumbled. I can only imagine for how long they had been kept warm, or perhaps reheated and kept warm. I haven't been back. They used to produce some fantastic stuff.

Please report back if you go. When I go out for BBQ, I'd much rather give my money to the little guy instead of Dave, but not based on my most recent experiences.

Back