Anyone (Keri?) glazed a ham with a weed burner?

David Stanton

TVWBB Member
I saw on TV how they do it at the Honeybaked Ham store, alternating with a spice mix and granulated sugar, and hitting it with a propane torch until it bubbles. I think I can do this with the ham still on the WSM! Yet another use for my weedburner! (Moderate flame, of course.) Anyone tried it?

Sure you could use the flame thrower. Of course some restraint would be in order.
icon_biggrin.gif

That's the way I always light my WSMs these days, except I have the fire turned down just a little bit from what you used in your video. I haven't used a chimney for either a full-hot-coal cook OR a Minion cook since we got that thing.

I've seen them use the little food-prep propane torch to do the hams, adding a little sugar, caramelizing it, adding a little more, caramelizing it, etc - the gradual addition and buildup of the crust was emphasized in the show I saw. Keeping in mind (a) how much heat these weed-burners put out, (b) how easy it is to burn sugar, I'd be a bit leery of doing it on a real live ham. Unless, of course, you have an Aldi store close to you. I have found good sized spiral-sliced hams there for as low as $7 upon occasion - that's a good experimenting price, I'd say. Give it a run and let us know how it works! I don't think I'd use the trigger, though - just the "yellow" flame. Sounds like an intriguing idea, though!
icon_smile.gif

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time

Back