Anyone have both a WSM and a Ceramic (Kamado) cooker?

Too juicy??? Too Rich??? Really? That really sounds like what most of us would like to accomplish. Not trying to rain on your parade, but there are lots of BBQ enthusiasts that would love that problem.

The juiciness of the meat I won't complain about from my ceramic thats for sure.The things I like better from my weber is the smoke, which I probably can fix with some adjustments cooking on my dome.I have had some things that I liked the texture better from the ceramic.
If you can afford a ceramic I would defiantly recommend one.

Ed,

I know what you mean, sounds weird, but I had some baby backs he did. I like baby backs dry, Memphis style but I also like them wet, but these were just too wet. He did some beef that had the same issue. Maybe it was the user as opposed to the cooker, or perhaps just my taste buds.

The ceramics certainly have their following but for the love of Pete are they expensive.

Like I said in my original reply, I think what makes the Weber so special is the blend of performance (although not perfect, very good) and value. I just settled another case so I may splurge and buy the 18" to take up to my dad's cabin in the mountains. What are they running now? Like $350.00?

JKC

Maybe it was the user as opposed to the cooker, or perhaps just my taste buds
If I may be so bold to say, it may have been the operator. Below are some pictures of my first rib cook on my Komodo Kamado (I'd done several on my Kamado so it was by no means my first rib cook on a ceramic). I too like my ribs dry and the meat to come off the bone with a gentle tug and these were exactly that, not mushy or too "wet" at all. Cook was a piece of cake too; threw them on, shut the cooker and opened again 6 hours later, they were done and took them off. Another thing to remember is maybe the operator meant them to have that degree of doneness. For instance, I from time to time will have guests who want "fall off the bone" ribs. For some reason they think this is a sign of the perfect rib. So in order to accommodate them I'll overcook (for my tastes) a couple racks.

Another tip for those new ceramic users, I've found I pull some product earlier than I would when using my WSM. For instance, my first butt on a ceramic ended-up having the consistency of canned tuna fish because I pulled it when I normally would have using my WSM. I now start checking my butts for doneness a lot earlier.

Regarding too juicy and too rich, the turkey I did last night resembled that comment, and I'll take that every time I fire her up
icon_biggrin.gif

Back