Anyone have a Moen Flo or similar type automatic water shutoff valve installed at their home?

bringing this back. I'm looking at adding one.

either Flo by Moen Flo or Phyn Plus may net an insurance discount.

reading reviews. I'll link them as long as I can edit.

This is the discount we we share with clients. I am not splicing your business. Merely sharing a special offer to those who might be Farmers insureds. Speak with your agent directly with any questions.

@Chris Allingham, remove this if it’s in violation of your T&C’s. No harm intended. TY

I'm interested in one of these but the 3.9-star overall ratings on Amazon with only 71% of reviewers giving it 4 or 5 stars is off-putting for me. Any updates on the user experience with these?
My experience has been good overall. There was a period of a couple of weeks where some units including mine were categorizing everything as the same event type, but they got that straightened out. The only tiny glitch for me is that the unit can’t differentiate between a water softener event and a drip irrigation event, even though they are very different in terms of frequency, time of day, and gallons consumed…and my repeated attempts at recategorizing these events from water softener to drip irrigation.

So far it has brought to our attention an irrigation leak in the yard, and while traveling it offers some peace of mind that things are being monitored. I even get alerts when the landscaper drops by unexpectedly to water plants when we’re out of town.

Another minor convenience is being able to turn off the water from your phone. When a plumber comes over to work on something and asks, “Where is your water shutoff?”, I just whip out my phone and say, “Right here!” :D

Last edited:
Personally, I think it's a cool gadget, but I think like most things electronic, my wife will likely have trouble with it. It's a moot point, however, because my insurance carrier requires it.

One time we were out running some errands and we were headed for lunch when we got into an argument and I decided to cut our trip short and go home. Lucky for me, I arrived home to see a trickle of water running out from under the garage door. One of the stainless steel flex lines that come out of the water heater developed a pinhole and the jet of pressurized hot water was carving a hole in the drywall. On the other side of the wall is the hall closet, so the potential for disaster was definitely there.

Another time our daughter penned up their dog in their kitchen while they went out running errands, only to come home to find water running out from under the front door of their house. The dog had chewed through the icemaker line and the jet of water shot across the living room into her laptop sitting on the table. That was an expensive experience for her. So yes, from my personal experience, there are some very good reasons for having one. While the device may not prevent water damage, the potential is there to prevent a 5-figure flood from becoming a 6-figure catastrophe.

While the device may not prevent water damage, the potential is there to prevent a 5-figure flood from becoming a 6-figure catastrophe.
exactly. $5k is a lot easier to fix and manage than a $50k flood. flood then fire are the two worst losses you can experience.

Back