Anyone foil their brisket?

Craig C

TVWBB Fan
I've always foiled mine for last 3 to 4 hrs. Cuts down on cook time and holds moisture, but am I also cutting down on flavor? As always, your comments are greatly appreciated.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig C:
I've always foiled mine for last 3 to 4 hrs. Cuts down on cook time and holds moisture, but am I also cutting down on flavor? As always, your comments are greatly appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I foil all of my brisket flats between 160º-165º. Sure you might reduce some smoke flavor when you foil, but I don't think you could really tell the difference in flavor between one that's foiled and one that wasn't.

I have done briskets, low&slow, high heat and the last time I did them the way Larry Wolf has. Larry, I must say that smoking the briskets between 260 & 280 made a hugh inpact on the flavor of the meat and the "smoke ring". I foiled them when they reached 165* (about 4 hours) and then foiled them. these were 14lb'ers total time was about 6 hours. When I have done HH it just don't get as much smoke flavor in them no matter how much wood I use.

I do all high heat briskets, and foiling is a part of that method. I lay the smoke on heavy while out of the foil and have been very happy with the results. Ive done everything from flats up to a 17lb whopper this way, and every time they come tastier than the last one.

I think part of the problem with the smoke flavor on HH cooks is that the smoke wood tends to burn more then smolder, thus producing less smoke. Although I have very little experience with HH cooks, I'd try adding more smoke wood to these cooks and see if that makes a difference.

The other technique is similar to what the pellet cookers use. Start the cook off at very low heat (150-175*) and smoke the meat about an hour before you crank up the temps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and see if that makes a difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It certainly does. (Forgo the 'fist-sized' chunks: use smaller pieces.)

A Minion start with plenty of small-chunked wood spread atop the unlit always gives me good smoke flavor and a good smokering. I cook HH only, always packers, in ~ 4 hours.

I foil mine at about 180º, pour about a 1/2 cup of beef broth in with the brisket and then cook till 190º. I place it in a cooler for 2 hours, then slice and serve. It always comes out perfect this way.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I am playing around with my technique. I will now "always" foil a bad cut (select and/or thin flat). It seems to help the brisket with the tenderness and moisture.

There are pros and cons to foiling, but I feel that the pros out weigh the cons. JMO

Weldon

I didn't need to this past time, I prefer not to, but do if I see things drying out. I don't remove any fat from my 8 pound brisket, I forget the term, packer? But, I like the results withou...

I got two 6 lb briskets for Sunday. I'll foil one and taste the results. Can't go wrong I'm sure! Thanks for the feed back.

Back