Anyone ever use really big smoke wood chunks?

Rob O

TVWBB Pro
Hey folks how's everyone doing? Guess it must be summer I found my pit again.

Anyway.... Got some pecan chunks delivered last week. Only these things are huge. As big as two fists put together. We're talking extra large grapefruit size.

Anyone tried using chunks this large? Anything special to think about? I'm planning an overnight cook Tuesday night. I don't even want to begin to think about splitting these suckers.

I got a 40 lb box like that last year. I split them with a hand axe. Pecan splits really easy.
icon_wink.gif

I've never used chunks that big. I think it would mess me up because I use the brinkman pan...unless I cut way down on charcoal, they wouldn't fit.

I've found that the best way to cut smallish chunks of wood is with a band saw. An axe would work, but I would think it would be awefully difficult to chop across the grain.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't even want to begin to think about splitting these suckers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rob,

I had some large pecan chunks also. I found the axe to be too big and not safe. I found that I could safely use my hatchet and a rubber mallet. I place the chunk on the garage floor, position the hatchet, and hit once or twice with the rubber mallet. You can do this as many times as necessary to get the desired size chunks.
Good luck,

Ray

Hi Rob
I have logs cut from my trees or friends trees and will use a single log up to the size of a tennis ball can. After a while (8+ hours) it is virtually indistiguishable from the lump.

morgan

I make my chunks "fist size" but some end up smaller. I fould it is easier customers to make chunks smaller than to make chunks bigger.
Bryan S has the idea for downsizing chunks.
Be careful wqith the chopsaw and small irregualr shaped wood. I use a chposaw to turn the logs into discs which I then split into chunks. I don't split logs and then cut them to chunks. It is very hard to split a guava log even 12 inches long. I cut the discs to 3.5 inches then chunk them.

I like pecan wood also. It's one of my favorites!

Aloha!

Greg Kemp

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Where did you guys get the pecan from??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bruce,

Pecan trees grow well in NC and a local golf course has quite a few. I let the grounds crew know that I wanted any pecan that they trimmed and I have all I need for quite a while. In fact, if anyone in NC wants a few logs, let me know and we'll see how to get it to you.
Send me an e-mail (see my profile for address).

Ray

Hey Ray, I'm heading down your way tomorrow! Got a buddy of mine in New Bern that I'm going to see. I'm looking for properties while I'm down there for a much later retirement

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bruce Bissonnette:
Where did you guys get the pecan from??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I ordered from people's woods Bruce. I didnt' realize they have chunks (which I got) and mini chunks (about 3.5" cubes) I should have gone with the later.

I break wood chunks down by putting them under the tracks of a CAT Dozer. Works great
I am using grape wood now very interesting flavor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hey Ray, I'm heading down your way tomorrow! Got a buddy of mine in New Bern that I'm going to see. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey Nick,

Have a safe trip and good luck with your property search. New Bern is a nice city - and so is Greenville..... and if you are seriously looking at Eastern NC I would recommend you check out Cypress Landing in Washington , New Bern, and Greenville.

If you sen me an e-mail (see my profile) I'll send you my phone number in case you need anything or want some pecan wood.

Ray

rob o, I drove up to people's last year and got a bunch of pecan logs and 30 or so bags of their housebrand lump- quantity discount and all. Only Mapleleaf beats their lump. They have other woods of course, but you can source those at Woodie the Woodchuck on SI. (apple, cherry, oak, maple, hickory).

Back