anyone ever cook without rub?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great question. I had my first cook yesterday. Two back ribs with the BRITU rub. Way to salty. I was even sure to put it on lightly....Tasted great but still downing the water today ;-)

So today I jumped back on the horse & used a different rub. (Rub IT) from the outdoor cooking store. Much better but still tasting the salt. (Maybe still from yesterday.) Any advice would be greatly a pretreated.

-Eric

thanks Eric..what got me thinking about this was I know ppl that cook whole pigs then sauce with a vinegar based sauce at the end..no bark but some really good cue/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Yes, David, I've cooked butts and ribs "nekkid" before, with good results. The flavor of pork and smoke is quite fine. That being said, I usually use a simple, light rub on those cuts.
Jim

It's next to impossible to get any decent amount of rub on the meat of a whole hog. The times I've cooked them, I use injectors w/apple juice and some seasonings. That seems to help out some.

Eric, I wonder if maybe your ribs were "enhanced" from the packer? Look closely at the fine print on the label. If so, that would account for the over-salted taste for sure.

You bet, David! Twenty-odd years ago when my brother and I started barbecuing (using ECB's), we had never heard of rubs, so did our ribs and briskets with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Turned out pretty good. Later, we found a barbecue spice made by a local company (Cain's), and started using that. Now that we are older and wiser, we make our own rubs and are very happy with the results. After a recent move, I couldn't find any of my BBQ stuff (still in boxes), so I did a couple of racks of ribs au natural. Not too bad. Certainly beats doing without! I think it is a good idea to do that once in a while, so you can see what the baseline tastes like. Then, add spices as needed.

Mark

For Pork Kosher Salt & Pepper works, I'd add a little dry granulated Garlic. No need to mix just layer it on Garlic, then pepper then Kosher salt. For a Butt straight Kosher salt will yield a good product.

Don't even think about using table salt /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

OK now I'm getting Hungry.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>For Pork Kosher Salt & Pepper works <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Pork and Kosher? Something doesn't seem right there. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
sam

Funny you should say that Diamond Crystal changed the graphics on the box from the star of David to Gourmet. It may be Kosher but it is the #1 choice of chefs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back