Anyone else use Lighter Fluid with their gas ignition Performer?

Brian Lieder

TVWBB Member
My classic stainless Performer has the gas ignition and it's pretty new to me. I figured the gas ignition would be the bees knees, but soon discovered that it really only ignites a small portion of my coals, creating a tiny hot spot in the middle of the basket. I tried moving the baskets around while burning the gas in an attempt to ignite the whole basket, but that's an annoying way to spend 5 minutes.

To solve this, i threw lighter fluid on all of both baskets, and hit the gas ignition for just a split second. got me a nice even bed of coals, and i was happy. But now i feel like i dont even need the gas ignition, and might as well just use lighter fluid and a match or stick lighter.

What do you do?

I assume you're joking about using lighter fluid Brian, actually double joking since it's posted in two places.
My Performer, newer style, lights the coals just fine in the baskets.

edit, posted in three places.

I assume you're joking about using lighter fluid Brian, actually double joking since it's posted in two places.
My Performer, newer style, lights the coals just fine in the baskets.

edit, posted in three places.

No, not joking. It only makes sense that the flame would only ignite a small area of the baskets, and ya sure it spreads, but that takes a lot longer than using lighter fluid and having a full glowing basket all at once. Also gives a way higher temp in the grill.

There are too many different areas on this forum that are similar, which is the right area to post about performers?

You hit the right one with kettle grills section.
Sorry, didn't think anyone on this forum still uses lighter fluid.
I plan my cooks so the coals are ready when the food is ready to go on the grill.
About two minutes with the gas assist, turn off, and prep food while it heats up.

Not my video, but it shows how the burners should look:

Damn, nice video. My flame does seem a bit smaller than that... Maybe i should double check that my burner is clear. That flame seemed huge

Brian welcome to the forum. You will find most folks around here highly dislike lighter fluid. I guess for multiple reasons but the biggest being the lighter fluid taste/smell it puts off.
I can't speak for everyone but I would guess I speak for 95% plus on the group and the majority would say to invest in a weber charcoal chimney.
I use my chimney to start charcoal for my grill and WSM. Good luck!

I suspect something is wrong with your gas ignition, like it needs to be cleaned or the gas isn't turned all the way on, or maybe you've got damp charcoal or something. I've recently switched to natural lump charcoal for quick cooks, after reading it lights faster, and can be ready to cook with both baskets full in about 15 minutes - almost as fast as the gas grill I used to use for quick cooks. I guess with enough lighter fluid you might be ready to cook faster than that, but maybe not even then...

I just got done cleaning out my gas ignition. Mine stopped working all together. Looks more like the flame in the video now.

And I also use it with a Weber chimney. Works great as long as that gas piping is clean/clear.

I use my photography rocket air blaster to clean out ashes in the burner tube.

Giottos_AA1900_Rocket_Air_Blower_1328549779000_259157.jpg

Funny this came up. just bought a like new Black 2014 silver kettle off CL for a project I'm going to do. Look what I found inside.
S1034401_zpsuxcbgjkq.jpg

S1034405_zpsw2siafdi.jpg

Maybe I'll marinade a steak in it, just kidding but I will light up a load of coals maybe in the SJ just for old times sake.

Brian, sounds like some thing is wrong because even at around 5500 ft. where I live about three minutes with the gas and twenty minutes later I'm good to go.

Cool video Bob! I've never seen that in action.

Rich - go ahead & try it - take one for the team!

I've eaten several meals off of charcoal that tasted slightly like a tire fire........I laugh when I smell it but it sounds like fun sometimes! Reminds me of camping......

Larry Wolfe's demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=why3QJ-r-n4

Last edited:
Clint no way am I going to eat a steak done with that stiff. Haven't used that stuff since camping with the kids long time ago in the desert.

OK, I am one of the few that still likes to use the charcoal lighter fluid once in a while. It's the way I learned and takes me back to my youth.
There are lots of ways to light charcoal, and I like to try most of them just to see.

OK, I am one of the few that still likes to use the charcoal lighter fluid once in a while. It's the way I learned and takes me back to my youth.
There are lots of ways to light charcoal, and I like to try most of them just to see.

There is something nostalgic about using lighter fluid for starting charcoal that I like. While I use a charcoal chimney and weber cubes 99.9% of the time, I am not against using some lighter fluid every now and then when I don't have a chimney available.

There is something nostalgic about using lighter fluid for starting charcoal that I like. While I use a charcoal chimney and weber cubes 99.9% of the time, I am not against using some lighter fluid every now and then when I don't have a chimney available.

I agree about the nostalgia. Every now and then I'll drive smell that old familiar smell of someone using lighter fluid and think back to summer barbecues of the past. Though I cannot remember when I last used lighter fluid myself.

Back