anyone else bbq'ing tonight?

Joe Garrett

TVWBB Member
Been too darn long since I last used the WSM.
Picked up this 9.8 lb butt, using mustard and rub recipe in cooking topics. Now four hours in and meat temp is 139 F.
IMG_0926.jpg

Joe, how's the cook going? I'm kinda like you. Haven't done any smoking since we moved to our new place. Can't find a good place for my smoker that is level. I'm actually considering building a deck just so I'll have a place for my WSM and a tent cover.
icon_wink.gif

Not tonight...going to a birthday party for my dad. Tomorrow (Sunday) is another story. It's on!!

Grilled lemon chicken thighs on the kettle for lunch.

A 2" ribeye and grilled romaine (cut lengthwise, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and grilled for a few minutes until warm and the outer leaves start to crisp up) with ceasar dressing on the kettle for dinner.

10 lb. "Bragging Rights Packer Brisket" from Smoke and Spice on the WSM around 10:00 p.m. to go all night for an Opening Day Party I'm throwing on Monday...

I am 15 hours into my cook of a 7 and 8 lb pork shoulder. Meat temp is at 178, getting close, just a few more hours! Have to be done by 11 am (it's 7:20 on the left coast right now) when we leave for a two hour drive to my daughters house to visit my brand new (Apr 1st) grandson. I may end up resting ithe pork in the cooler on the way up, pulling it there and vacuum packing it so they have easy meals for a while.

Tough to get up this morn since the boy woke up screaming at 3.30am. When I woke at 6:15 and the WSM temp was 211 F, I didn't care, but at 8:15 temp was down to 189 F, so I added coals, water, opened access door and vents. Butt temp around 160. I'm refreshed, it looks great and I wish I could eat it for breakfast. Biscuits and gravy instead!

IMG_0929.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck R:
Have to be done by 11 am (it's 7:20 on the left coast right now) when we leave for a two hour drive to my daughters house to visit my brand new (Apr 1st) grandson. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Congrats! I'm have my parents over so that they can play with their grandson tonight (and to enjoy some great meats).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck R:
I may end up resting ithe pork in the cooler on the way up, pulling it there and vacuum packing it so they have easy meals for a while. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that is a great option. You will have some extra help pulling and vacuum sealing
icon_wink.gif

Joe,

At seven hours, then again at 15 hours, my grill temp started dropping a bit so I raked the coals with a poker to knock the ashes off the coals. Still had tons of lump left so didn’t need to add any. This is my first extended cook on the 22 so I wasn’t sure if I could get a 17-20 hour cook like I can with my 18. An extended cook with one heaping ring of lump is no problem with the 22, which is good to know since I’m cooking another two shoulders on Sun.-Mon.

Meat temp is at 183º and 185º (16 hours). Stuck a fork in them and they are almost done! I’ll stick ‘em again in an hour. I’ll go fill the cooler with hot water and get it ready for the rest

I’ll let the new father pull the pork and seal while I hold my grandson!

That looks great Joe...love pulled pork. I did a shoulder yesterday and pulled it last night, I'm going to vacuum pack and freeze today.

looks good , I have a couple of butts smoking on my UDS , started them at 6:30AM should be done around 6 or 7pm

Last Sunday, I smoked a 20 pound maple/bourbon turkey for my son's birthday. It was absolutely scrumptious but would have been better had he not lost his water pan. WAY too much grease burning directly on the hot coals. Still, I took the carcass for soup.
icon_wink.gif
My son's friends made short work of the bird itself - and I will pass my old ECB water pan on.

The info on this site made this almost a set it and forget it experience, even though I've NEVER done so large a bird before. Thanks, Chris and members!!

Last Monday, we had snow - and TODAY, it's about 65 degrees and sunny! I've got pot roast a la Stogie and quick faux pastrami underway using some alder wood I scavenged after a nasty wind storm.

Looks great! Nice spring day here...did 2 chuck roasts for beef tacos, enchiladas with smoked chicken, had beans simmering in the crock pot since this morning, pico, roasted chili-tomato-garlic salsa, red chili rice...and of course can't forget a fattie (stuffed with pepper-jack and capicola rubbed with "A butt rub for Jane"). A feast.

Back