Anyone done Oysters on a Weber Q220

willie

Local oyster are raised just up the coast from me. Those that I don't eat raw, I BBQ on the half shell with a Butter & garlic sauce, and a Red Sauce on the other half. I am not sure how they will turn out of the Q220. I am here to get some advice on using my Q220 from you experts. I will have my Kettle on standby if needed. I also like to do mussles, clams and abalone on the grill. Still raining here in Sunny California so hoping to test run my Q220 in the next day or so.

I think they will be great on the Q220. I do them on the Performer. Only decision I can see is whether you want to balance the half-shells on the grate - which is what I do - or create a bed of rock salt on a shallow pan and settle the oysters in there to stabilize them.

How do you season your grilled oysters? I like melted butter with a bit of Worcestershire sauce and a couple of dashes of Sriracha or Chipolte Tobasco, then top them with some shredded Italian cheese blend.

Let us know how they turn out!

Pat

Please post some pictures when you do Willie. I have done many oysters, clams and mussels on the kettle. One of the sauces I mix is soy sauce, fresh garlic and cilantro. It's always a hit, but this year I will be experimenting with some Schiracha. As for the grate to hold them, I am going to make one from expanded metal like they sell.

I just thought of another idea. I bet a little bacon on them would be incredible!

Oyster on half shell (cut the muscle on bottom shell to free oyster from bottom shell)

Couple drops of olive oil on each oyster

Salt and Pepper them lightly

Sprinkle each with small bit of Oregano flakes

Sprinkle teaspoon of bread crumbs on it

Sprinkle Parmesan chez on a little less than teaspoon

Squeeze lemon on all

Add Parsley flakes lightly

Place in Oven try 400 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes

Perhaps 350 degrees will do for 20 minutes

Above time and temp were for an Oven.

I have not done these in my Q220 Yet, I will this weekend on my NEW Q220

When done pull out and squeeze more lemon on and Place a few lemon pieces on serving plate with oysters

garnish with fresh Parsley

Serve with Garlic bread use bread to soak up the juices in bottom of shells

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">post down below in the Recipe section.

Ben </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ben, Which post Recipe section. Can you provide a link or title to the post
Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Smith:
I think they will be great on the Q220. I do them on the Performer. Only decision I can see is whether you want to balance the half-shells on the grate - which is what I do - or create a bed of rock salt on a shallow pan and settle the oysters in there to stabilize them.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another tip for "stabilizing" oysters and other irregular shaped foods is to make a ring of aluminum foil to set the oysters into.

Back