Anyone cook with the Cajun Microwave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This setup appears to defy common sense. The heat source is on top. Heat rises. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Steve

I did some research on this and its basiclly used for cooking whole pigs. If you look at the design it appears to be a huge outdoor oven.Build the fire on the steel plate on top and that radiates the heat inside the box. You can't get any flavor from the wood or charcoal that you use to heat it? There are several styles, some with
metal linning inside and some with 1/2" fire bricks.Some are made out of cypress wood and others are made from Marine grade plywood. I did see one that was made out of all steel. They say that you need to flip the meat every hour. It looks like it would make a good whole hog cooker.

We took one of these belonging to a friend to Talladega a few years ago. We cooked a whole hog and as I remember it was quite good. as was stated earlier the hog has to be turned fairly often to prevent burning. The flavor depends more on seasoning than smoke.
This idea comes from the cajun tradition of burying a pig in the ground to cook it. I understand they also bury the pig for luau cooking.
Billy Gardner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back