Anybody awake? Need help with brisket please!

JeffB

TVWBB Pro
My brisket just hit 195* internal after 8 hours. I was expecting it to take 2x as long to cook.

My point is nice and juicy and soft. The flat is soft in some spots but is a bit hard in the center. Not like melted butter to push through a probe.

What should I do? Also, if I pull the brisket how long can I wrap it in foil and hold in a cooler?

I was planning on serving it around 2 or 3pm today.

Please respond. Thanks!!

I take my packers to 200-205, measured in the flat below the point.
If it seems a bit hard in the center, then it's either not done yet or it's now a brick.
Temps are only a tool, the probe test is the best way to determine when it is finished.
If you foil and rest, do it in a preheated cooler and pack with towels, newspaper, etc.
It will stay hot for about 6 hours. Longer than that, I would go put it in the oven on the lowest temp you can.
Around 150-170 works great. Just keep it double foiled.
HTH and hope I'm not too late.

Agree with John. DO the probe test . If it is soft with hardly any resistance then it's done. Temps are a guide. The meat will tell you when it's ready.

Ignore the point. Test the flat. It may not be done yet. If I was facing this, I'd try to lower temps to 200-225, if possible, and keep cooking--periodically probing for tenderness in the thickest part of the flat. And/or, wrap (I like butcher paper, but foil works) for 60-90 min, then check.

Ignore the point. Test the flat. It may not be done yet. If I was facing this, I'd try to lower temps to 200-225, if possible, and keep cooking--periodically probing for tenderness in the thickest part of the flat. And/or, wrap (I like butcher paper, but foil works) for 60-90 min, then check.

Monty, I did just that. Got heat down to 223 for about 2 hours and it rocked! Pictures to come...

Back