Any tricks to see the vent setting better

Rick Rockwell

TVWBB Member
I don't know about the rest of you, but I have a tough time determining how my lower vents are set (without actually lying on the floor). Does anyone have any good tricks or a mod that will make the job easier.

The tabs on the vents act as a "blind stop".
Just like a single handle faucet, if you fully turn the vent to the right its closed, and to the left its open.
So both of those settings can be done with no line of sight.
Now for doing 25-50-75 or whatever settings, I just lean back and use the toe of my shoe to nudge the vent.

Tim

Yah, they should move those danged vents to the top so us old farts can see 'em.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony C.:
i use my fingers to feel how much of a gap there is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ouch!

On my 18" WSM I adjust the tabs so they are horizontal
icon_wink.gif
... perfect setting for approx 225* , if you cook with H2O
icon_biggrin.gif
... On my 22"WSM, I also use the vent tabs alignment with each other, but the angle for cooking is different
icon_smile.gif
Also, on the 22", note what setting pure verticle and pure verticle yield ...
icon_smile.gif

I use the toe method too. I don't look at the holes I look at the edge of the tab. Close it and note where edge of tab is. Open it and note that position. 50% halfway etc.

I also thought about finding dowels that are the rigth diameter for 25, 50 and 75% open so I could stick it in the hole and close the vent. But I have to get out my geometry
book and figure it out. LOL

When I start the fire, the vents are easy to see because the WSM is open and the vents are set fully open. As the WSM comes to temp, I full close two vents so I don't really need to see to do that. Once I'm at this point, as I adjust the one open vent and get the temp under control, I just use my toe as a few others have said. To see where I'm at, I just step back far enough to get a good angle. Like most things in BBQ, it doesn't have to be perfect.

To see how far the vents are open on one of my WSMs, I used a yellow paint pen from an auto parts store to fill in the vent holes on the charcoal bowl with the vents closed.

Now I call tell how far a vent is open by how much of the yellow is visible, even at night.

HTH

Ken

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris E:
I also thought about finding dowels that are the rigth diameter for 25, 50 and 75% open so I could stick it in the hole and close the vent. But I have to get out my geometry
book and figure it out. LOL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The holes are a certain diameter. Let's say 1.5". Divide that by 4. That's .375 inches.

That's just simple math, brother.
icon_cool.gif

Back