Any Tips for making Smash Burgers? Using Campchef SG30 Griddle on Genesis

"Someday I'll post a short novel about the love triangle between myself and these two grills, but today's not the day"

Gee, somehow, I feel like I am back on the Humor thread. lol

John, Do you have a Weber Kettle? If so the Hunsaker griddle for it works great. Works so good for $40 I sold my Blackstone.
Good idea - They are $50 now. I may be tempted. My thoughts are charcoal is for stuff that will benefit from being on the fire for a while. Thick steaks, chicken, etc. Something like a smash burger just needs a really hot surface. If my Q320 griddle doesn't cut it, it will be my CI gridle on the Kettle followed by giving up. I went camping this week and used my WGA charcoal to make some fantastic thick juicy medium done burgers that I was more than happy with. I am of the same mind as John, less devices and cost.

I went down the smash burger "rabbit hole" a few years ago. I started with a "little griddle"

Since I own the kettle pizza, I tried this, see below: It was out before the Hunsaker griddle:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016X26ZY8/?tag=tvwb-20

Last X-Mas Wally World sold this on Black Friday for $99, which I bought. I will use it for numerous other items such as Fajitas, Philly Cheese Steak, breakfast etc. Since I am in the middle of a patio/cooking kitchen re-mod, I will not even bring it out to only get in the way. For $99 it isn't to big & is built quite well, just my .02.
The cheapest Blackstone 2 burner that I could find is over $200 + tax now.

.. Second, and not fun, is to make fewer burgers per batch...
Your burgers look terrific and the fam obviously approved. Congrats!

It's been too long since I made smash burgers; I need to change that real soon. If memory serves, these go so fast that I wouldn't be able to keep up with more than 4 patties. According to my log, my better ones came off the Camp Chef stove with one of their griddles employing much of Chris' write-up method. The IR thermo gun registers ~600f before I begin this cook.

I drop 2 oz balls, smash immediately, flip after 60 seconds, and after another 60 seconds they come off the griddle. This goes so fast that I sometimes forget to season them.

The cheapest Blackstone 2 burner that I could find is over $200 + tax now.
The model I bought was only offered by WM & I believe it was only available this past holiday season. see link below:

WM introduced a similar model a couple of years ago, the difference is that it doesn't have wheels & the stand can be removed. It originally cost $99, but now it goes for $174. Here is a link.

My Q320 now says "I think I can, I think I can" with the new griddle. I cooked a couple of steaks, put the griddle on to season it, and took some temps. I think I could maybe get to 700 with some patience (not my strength). I will try the smash burgers in a week or so, as I think we need a little more variety.
20210515_185440.jpg

Smash burgers on griddles such as a Blackstone, Camp Chef, etc. generally cook on medium high heat which is between 350-400 degrees. Also they start with applying butter to the griddle, the smoke point of butter is 302 degrees, clarified butter is 482 degrees.

Back