Any Tips for making Smash Burgers? Using Campchef SG30 Griddle on Genesis

I've made smash burgers using the flat side of GrillGrates and also using a Hunsaker griddle on my 22" kettle. Prefer doing them on the kettle with Hunsaker, but both are good. Managing the messy grease is easier in the kettle with the Hunsaker because you can put small foil pans under the holes and direct grease there....much easier cleanup.

I get the grill nice and hot.
Cook some bacon to get a decent layer of grease for flavor and to keep anything from sticking.
Roll your meat into loose balls maybe the size in between a tennis ball and a golf ball.....I've never measured mine before....but you dont want a lot of meat, you want to make a bunch of thin burgers and stack multiples after they are cooked instead of one huge smashed out burger that's way bigger than your bun.

So throw the ball of meat on the grill, lay a small sheet of parchment paper on top of the meat (helps to keep it from sticking) and SMASH the meat with a stiff flat spatula, keep it pressed down pretty firm for maybe 20-30 sec, use your other hand if you need to apply more pressure.
Let it cook until the burger releases or is freed from sticking to the griddle....does not take long if you have it hot enough
Then flip, add cheese.....by the time cheese melts, its time to take the burger off and move to the next one.

That's my method and I love the way they turn out. You still get that juicy flavor and can stack them 2 or 3 high. I hate grilling traditional burgers now. Smashed are the way they!

This is the spatula I use.
Works nice for smashing and is stiff enough to use as a scrapper to clean griddle afterwards.

Last edited:
I have seen a lot of this smash burger trend lately. I need someone to explain to me why? I always thought the whole purpose of making burgers at home was to have a nice juicy medium to medium rare burger. Smash burgers look like what you get at 5 guys or something. Thanks

If you cook it right, you can get your smash burger that same juicy medium to medium rare as your fat burger, but it takes a lot less time to cook a smash burger and you don't need to bother with a thermometer.

Most people over cook smash burgers.

Good to know! I use 4 out of 5 grates flipped all the time. We do have the 17" blackstone griddle when it's just cooking for 2 but having the option is nice.

Anyone have a press they like? The lodge press was square and $30, and I can't find anything round that doesn't also have a pattern on the bottom.

I have the camp chef spatulas and the wider one is sturdy enough that it's an ok substitute for now https://www.campchef.com/professional-chef-spatula-set.html

Anything flat will do. Plate, pan, pot, lid, bowl, cutting board, cookie sheet, big coffee mug, spatula. My preferred tool is the bottom of a small sauce pan with a handle on it.

But the drywall tool is coolest.

GGs work great for smash burgers. Do them a lot. Unless you are trying to make pancakes or scrambled eggs, the holes don’t matter — the GGs reversed are my flat top. Although GG does make true griddle plates, I don’t see any reason to get them.

For smashers, you want the burgers to stick and get crusty. Then scrape hard so the crust stays with the patty and not the grill top.

Shake Shack uses paint scrapers instead of spatulas for flipping.
Agreed on the GG's.

Technically, I don't make true smash burgers.
My technique is to crank up the burners on the Genny, and toss some hickory chips in the rail side of the grill.
While that's heating up, I make large, very thin patties of 80/20 ground beef, (or chuck), sprinkle liberally with kosher salt and cracked pepper.
When the grates are blazing hot, and the chips smoking, I toss 'em on the flat side, press once, and flip after a few minutes. I can't imagine that the crust could be much better, but I'm willing to try.
I serve them on toastes brioche buns.

I don't know how I've survived without GrillGrates! This is the gasser set up, about a year ago. They're very well-seasoned now.

Attachments

• 20200412_105949.jpg
    20200412_105949.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 14
Another user of Grill Grates flat side for smashburgers. Grapeseed oil is good to wipe the surface before cooking. I use a couple of big spatulas to two-hand smash.

I follow Sam the Cooking Guy's approach for his best burger ever video. Two small smashed patties, cheese melted on, caramelized onions, special sauce (combo of mayo, ketchup, mustard, diced dill pickle), toasted buns. Those onions are a game changer.

Wife requests these often, and they are on the menu for Saturday.

Dave's Killer Bread "Burger Buns Done Right" are more expensive than the usual suspects, but I really like them.

I've made smash burgers using the flat side of GrillGrates and also using a Hunsaker griddle on my 22" kettle. Prefer doing them on the kettle with Hunsaker, but both are good. Managing the messy grease is easier in the kettle with the Hunsaker because you can put small foil pans under the holes and direct grease there....much easier cleanup.

I get the grill nice and hot.
Cook some bacon to get a decent layer of grease for flavor and to keep anything from sticking.
Roll your meat into loose balls maybe the size in between a tennis ball and a golf ball.....I've never measured mine before....but you dont want a lot of meat, you want to make a bunch of thin burgers and stack multiples after they are cooked instead of one huge smashed out burger that's way bigger than your bun.

So throw the ball of meat on the grill, lay a small sheet of parchment paper on top of the meat (helps to keep it from sticking) and SMASH the meat with a stiff flat spatula, keep it pressed down pretty firm for maybe 20-30 sec, use your other hand if you need to apply more pressure.
Let it cook until the burger releases or is freed from sticking to the griddle....does not take long if you have it hot enough
Then flip, add cheese.....by the time cheese melts, its time to take the burger off and move to the next one.

That's my method and I love the way they turn out. You still get that juicy flavor and can stack them 2 or 3 high. I hate grilling traditional burgers now. Smashed are the way they!

This is the spatula I use.
Works nice for smashing and is stiff enough to use as a scrapper to clean griddle afterwards.
Ordered. Dammit, this site is costing me some $$$ Thanks? :LOL:

Ordered. Dammit, this site is costing me some $$$ Thanks? :LOL:
Haha, it's well worth the $16 bucks! It's my go-to spatula. Makes cleanup a breeze.
I have another one, same brand, that is a bit longer, but it's more flexible that I use if I'm doing something like breakfast on the griddle with multiple things cooking....hashbrowns, eggs, bacon, etc....

I follow Sam the Cooking Guy's approach for his best burger ever video.

Do you and the Mrs. each get your own paper towel roll for face wiping?

Those onions are a game changer.

I love caramelized onions. They will last a few weeks in the fridge and months in the freezer. Every once in a while I make a huge batch in a turkey fryer pot so they are always available.

All my family wants now as burgers are smash burgers. My spatula is not that strong so I use a potato masher on top to give extra pressure. Gotta look into a sturdier one.

Haha, it's well worth the $16 bucks! It's my go-to spatula. Makes cleanup a breeze.
I have another one, same brand, that is a bit longer, but it's more flexible that I use if I'm doing something like breakfast on the griddle with multiple things cooking....hashbrowns, eggs, bacon, etc....
No doubt!

So I finally tried to make smash burgers. Took the suggestion and made grilled onions first in the 12" Lodge cast iron skillet on the Q320. Then let the pan sit on the Q trying to get the temp over 400 but could not. I thought it was the new tank so I disconnected and reconnected flames look good but could not get the temp on the hood thermometer or the pan much over 400 and we where hungry so I went for it. Good execution on my part but not that mallard reaction I was going for but with the pepper jack cheese and onions they were good. That was the first 4 patties or 2 burgers. I let the pan sit on the Q with burners on high while we eat. The IR thermometer now read the pan at about 500 so I did the last 4 patties. The came out better but we are saving them for tomorrow. I liked the burgers, but am sort of disappointed that I could not get that Q to get that pan over 500. I have had that Q at about 550 in the past. I will have to test it w/o the pan from cold and do some timings. That pan is a huge heat sink - still to hot to handle w/o gloves 30 minutes later. I thought all that time cooking the onions on high would have been enough. I do have a high carbon steel skillet that I could try next. Heats much faster. That is why I use it for breakfast every day instead the the CI.

I've made a thousand burgers over the years, and only in the last couple years starting doing smash burgers. I just don't know what it really is...the dark crust from the seared burger just gives it a flavor that I do not get from any other way of cooking them. We've had friends and family over, and almost every time, the response (between mouth fulls) is "OMG these are so good....." And the thing is, they are barely seasoned...I use a sprinkle of Lawry's Seasoned Salt and that is it...but they just taste frick'n amazing when you get that sear down! My family will not go back to a traditional burger. It's just one of those things...
Same thing here. I purchased a baking steel from a local company, and even after making stuffed cheese and bacon burgers last night- my family only ever wants smashburgers. They are delicious.

It was delivered a few days ago and, I'm impressed! It's solid and already our favorite spatula. I've made smash-burgers and the wife has been using it in a cast iron skillet. I may order a larger one too. Thanks for the recommendation!

It was delivered a few days ago and, I'm impressed! It's solid and already our favorite spatula. I've made smash-burgers and the wife has been using it in a cast iron skillet. I may order a larger one too. Thanks for the recommendation!
Glad you guys like it! It's my most often used one too.

I have this one too. It's a longer version that is not so stiff. I pretty much only use it when I've got stuff on the griddle like hash browns or stir-fry/rice.

We had Smashburgers the other night. Used a recipe that we first made back in 2017. It was a recipe from Food Network mag. It also said that Smashburgers (the chain) was founded in Denver in 2007. I'm sure people have been smashing burgers a lot longer than that. lol

We had Smashburgers the other night. Used a recipe that we first made back in 2017. It was a recipe from Food Network mag. It also said that Smashburgers (the chain) was founded in Denver in 2007. I'm sure people have been smashing burgers a lot longer than that. lol
Joan, This video is really good, and one of the guys goes into the history of the smash burger back to the 1920's.

Last edited:

Back