Any recommendations on a good rust remover?

Mary Teal

TVWBB Super Fan
I have a set of the old style wire charcoal baskets that came with my SS Performer. They are heavily coated in rust.
I found a seller on eBay that has some, but he wants $43 a set plus ship, I believe, and another parts place wants $40 plus ship. I would like to give it a whirl restoring these rusted ones, as I don't believe I want to spend $40 plus bucks on new ones, when I can get the newer style for $14!
Anyone have any recommendations on a good rust remover?

Electrolysis works very well (google search to see how it's done. Also EvapoRust works well as does plain old vinegar. You have to watch it if you dunk them in vinegar though, as it will eventually eat into the steel. Also, media blasting would work on those.

I think you are wasting your time trying to preserve or keep clean this charcoal basket. Nothing can be applied that will hold up to the incredible heat it is exposed to and since it doesn't become coated with gunk like the rest of the grill/smoker there is no preventing the rust and eventual deterioration. Like Alexandro said, "use them like that util they fall apart".

I've seen really amazing results with electrolysis but you do have to be careful and follow the safety precautions. But then again they are just charcoal baskets, might not be worth the work

20140914_180934_zpsimfxcgnb.jpg

its reusable. it gets dirty but you can use it multiple times. take a old brush to it after soaking it overnight.

i've heard you can dilute it and it still works, but i haven't tried that.

Last edited:
I second what Dean and Alejandro said -- just use them as-is. Even if you get the rust off they will corrode very quickly with use.

Back