any mods done on the charcoal grate?

Sean C

TVWBB Member
Hi, I seem to loose so many heat beads and small bits of charcoal down the sides of the charcoal grate! is there a quick fix for this? was thinking of buying another grate and turn in around on top of the existing one? but that would make it hard to lift in and out?
cheers

WSMCharcoalGrate.jpg

Buy an extra charcoal grate and clock it 90 degrees and attach the two grates to the charcoal ring with two or three SS hose clamps. It works for me.

Good luck, RonW.

I did the exact same thing to mine only using re-bar ties, all tied in one unit make it easy to pick up and clean out

Did the same. Used stainless steel zip ties from Harbor Freight. Now I can just pick it up and give it a few shakes to knock all the dust out and small pieces.

WSMCharcoalGrate.jpg

Buy an extra charcoal grate and clock it 90 degrees and attach the two grates to the charcoal ring with two or three SS hose clamps. It works for me.

Good luck, RonW.

Where do you find a replacement charcoal grate. only thing I have not done is call Weber.

The replacement grate at Home Depot is smaller than the original. It actually fits right inside the coal ring. I turned it 90* from the original, set the coal ring on top and then used SS zipties to attach them all together (use a pair of needle nose pliers to tighten the ties). I also added four stainless steel 10" eye bolts (picture only shows two, I added the other two afterwards) through the grates. This gives me nice handles to grab and shake the basket with and allows me to set my top grate on top of them and do direct grilling for steaks, etc.

1898020_794854317209502_634523304_n.jpg

1779291_794854403876160_1066245460_n.jpg

1618574_794854380542829_987255400_n.jpg

Just purchase a replacement charcoal grate for a 22.5" kettle grill and you'll be good to go. Those can be found anywhere - Home Depot, Walmart, Amazon...

I welded 2 U-shaped handles onto the charcoal grate. It about 1 1/2" taller than the ring. It also holds the ring in place. They are inside the ring.

Hi, I seem to loose so many heat beads and small bits of charcoal down the sides of the charcoal grate! is there a quick fix for this? was thinking of buying another grate and turn in around on top of the existing one? but that would make it hard to lift in and out?
cheers

I bought a charcoal grate for a 22.5" kettle grill, and it's smaller than the one that came with my 22.5" WSM (it's almost a perfect fit for inside the charcoal ring). I wired the grates together (90 degrees from each other) to the ring with SS wire. I would have used expanded metal instead of a second grate, but it was cheaper to buy the grate and SS wire.

Back