Any idea what might cause the burners to flash on then off? Video inside.

MatthewS

TVWBB Member
2017 Genesis II. New to me. The propane tank is good. Please forgive the off-kilter burner tube to the far left. I had been adjusting it but the problem persists no matter how it's situated. The problem is the same for all burners - they get a spark and gas but turn off the second I let off the ignighter. I've tried lighting with a lighter as well and the same thing happens.

Last edited:
When the first ignite, does the whole tube ignite or just the first part of it near the igniter?

Also, did this just start happening out of the blue? Or did you do some work on the grill just prior to this happening? Did you just change tanks? Did you not use it for an extended period of time?

Believe it or not, I'll got this free off a curb on our annual "junk day". I could not believe it. Brought it home and this is obviously the reason it was dumped. It's in great condition. I'm wondering if it's a regulator issue.

edit: to answer your question, I haven't done anything. All parts look original. Just plugged in the propane and found this issue.

OK, I didn't realize that was actually a video. THat is strange. My worry is that the burners are not connected to the valves completely and are leaking a bunch of the gas outside the cook box. If so, that is a recipe for a disaster. Take the cover off the valves and make sure the burners are connected and aligned to fit over the valve orifice correctly.

Matthew, it sure looks like your burners are not getting enough gas to keep them lit. My concern above still holds.

Answer the questions I posted above. That might help me or others narrow down the issue better.

Any chance that this grill is configured for NG and what we are seeing is related to using LP through a NG manifold? I am not an expert and would defer to Larry...

FIXED. Swapped out regulators - problem solved. Thanks for the input and advice for safety.

Sad to think someone put this out on the curb - likely because of a $20 part.

I also got a 18" Smokey Mountain on "Junk Day". I guess I'm into smoking now. Plus couple of other Webers I'm going to fix up and give to family and a friend.
IMG_20200923_210039.jpg

FIXED. Swapped out regulators - problem solved. Thanks for the input and advice for safety.

Sad to think someone put this out on the curb - likely because of a $20 part.

I also got a 18" Smokey Mountain on "Junk Day". I guess I'm into smoking now. Plus couple of other Webers I'm going to fix up and give to family and a friend.
View attachment 14800
Matthew:
Good for you! One man's trash is another man's treasure. Happy grilling!

Great news and wsm too. I was on the edge of the bed as I read this. I was worried the burners were not quite connected or tubes or hoses were off or leaking. Almost started driving West. Good.

Last edited:
Yeah I was going to vote for excessively high pressure and volume going into the burner, but I wanted some background. When I put up the question I was a little too busy to actually spend much time looking at the video and figuring out

Back