Any hope for Qing on vacation

Erik Snyder

TVWBB Fan
So, Our rental has one of those park-style charcoal grill things. Is there any way to fashion this into a barbequeing device? I thought about renting a charcoal grill, but for $40, I could buy a lot of other things.

Hi Erik,

I'm thinking that, depending upon the exact style of park grill, one could use some heavy duty aluminum foil, some magnets, a stapler and few disposable aluminum pans to get a tolerable smoker going.

It would take some serious innovation and adaptation to overcome the obstacles, but I think, in a pinch, I could do it.

###

i'm thinking its not worth it. you do want to do other things right ? how about grilling and put on some smoking chips for taste ?

The 2 best ways I had Q at the rental were:

1 - took my WSM along - it needed a vacation too. Drove the others crazy with the smells.

2 - Smoked ahead of time, vac sealed, froze...makes great "ice" for the cooler.

I don't think that would work at all.
I bought a OTG for my last trip. I figured there will be plenty of other trips in the future so why not drop $90 and enjoy all of them. It colapses to about the size of the bowl. The legs pop right out.

WSMs love to go on vacation! Mine went to Maine just last week and boy did it have a good time!
icon_biggrin.gif

I don't know, I've always had a soft spot for the McGuyver stuff, especially on vacation. I'd think that if you bought a few large aluminum baking pans, a small roasting pan, a roll of heavy duty aluminum foil, some tin snips, and some of the real metal duct tape, you could fashion yourself a fairly decent smoker. I wouldn't rely on it working, but I would absolutely give it a try. The worst case is, it won't work and you have fun building it anyway and the best case is it works well and everyone is impressed with your ingenuity and the wonderful food you make. The main concern IMO would be airflow.

Back