Any difference between cooking 1 or 2 briskets??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve G.

TVWBB Member
I had great success with cooking one 12 pound brisket a few weeks ago, but I will be cooking 2 this Memorial weekend. I don't want to mis-time things, so is there any difference between cooking one brisket and cooking two briskets?

Also, is there any reason to switch which rack they are on midway through the cook?

Thanks

Steve, I'm sure others here can help you far better than me but after reading the posts here for quite a while I understand that the lower rack runs a little cooler. So if you want both briskets to finish at the same time, than the idea is to swap them midway through the cook. Cooking time may be a little longer with two briskets but I'm not experienced enough to comment on that. hope this helps. Cliff

Unless the meat is really overloaded, touching, or you otherwise end up with one big mass instead of two separate ones, having 2 briskets (or shoulders, etc.) doesn't inherently take any longer than one, in my experience. Smoking is an inexact art anyway, so if it does take longer I probably just don't realize it.

The earlier comment about the lower rack being cooler is a more important consideration, IMO. Put the smaller of the two on the bottom rack, and if they're about a pound or so apart you may end up with them being done at the same time. Or not, meat's "done when it's done."

Enjoy! I'm trying to decide what to smoke on my 4-day weekend myself. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back