Anti-seize on firebox bolt

Dave S Iowa

I see suggestions to use anti-seize on the bolt going through the frame and firebox. Are there any concerns with anti-seize being exposed to the heat of the firebox? I know the food wouldn't be in contact but I'm just wondering if the anti-seize would smoke inside the firebox and would there be any transfer to food? Is there a particular anti-seize that would be better to use?

No concern. Been doing it for MANY years and other that the other head that sprouted out of my neck no harm at all. Besides now with all this Covid nonsense I have someone to talk to :D

I use a 1/4 by 2 1/2. Nylon Washer on the outer frame member. The bolt head should be on the frame member part so you don't interfere with your side table.
View attachment 4001

Is this the correct size of bolt for the firebox? It has to go through the frame and firebox right?
Dave, to clarify I use 1 1/4 square tube or the existing square tube for the cross member. The 1/4 by 2 1/2 bolt gives me a little extra wiggle room. I want it snug but not too tight for expansion and contraction of the Cast Aluminum firebox and the mild steel cross member.

Dave, bolthead -> washer -> frame -> cookbox -> nut

The nylon washer on the outside should keep the bolthead wearing off the paint on the frame.

Actually I don't think they used nylon. They used a far more heat resistant material
Thanks, I understand now. I knew it wasn't metal. I assumed it was the same black plastic washer material used on the rest of the frame.

Maybe ease of assembly to have all the washers the same.

View attachment 4001

Is this the correct size of bolt for the firebox? It has to go through the frame and firebox right?
Dave, I just verified it and you need a 2" x 1/4" SS bolt for the fire box. It sticks into the fire box a good 1/2". Anything longer is unnecessary.
I am sorry for the typo on the "HOW TO". I just fixed that so it should be more clear to others in the future. Thanks for pointing it out.

Back