Another white smoke question

Joe Stout

TVWBB Member
I've just switched from my offset that I always used lump in, to a 22" WSM loaded with briquettes.

I think I've been reading where people put the meat as soon as the smoker comes up to temp but using the minion method, there is way to much white smoke coming out of mine at that time.

I put some meat on a little after it came up to temp but I didn't like the flavor. The next time I closed the vents and held it at 230 until the smoke turned into a whisper and the ribs came out a lot better but I still didn't get the clean smoke flavor I get with the lump in my offset.

So my question is, how long do any of you let the smoker settle in before putting the meat on? I've been going about an hour and a half (20 minutes to come up to temp and and an hour to settle the smoke).

Joe, Welcome to 'THE PLACE'. I use lump in my 18.5 WSM. I generally let it come to temp and stabelize, then I put the meat on. Probably 30-45 min. I have never appreciated an off taste due to white smoke, maybe I have been lucky, maybe my Mesquite lump likes me?

Mark

Using both briquettes and lump, and using the Minion method always, I've yet to taste any difference between putting the meat on right away and waiting an hour. If my experience changes, I'll be open to waiting, and then no more than the 45 minutes I've seen tossed around as the longer option.

Welcome Joe!
I use RO lump and brig's and I always load the meat at the get-go using the MM. No off flavors that I ever noticed. Maybe it's your brand of brig's?

Tim

Well maybe I'm paranoid about the flavor. My family said the first cook was okay.

I went form Cowboy lump (easy to get) to Kingsford briquettes (again easy to get). I have to do 12 racks this weekend for gifts so I'm going to do the waiting game on that but I think I'll do a couple of cheap meat experiment cooks after that to see if I can taste a difference. I just can't see all that white billowy smoke not imparting a taste, especially how god awful the Kingsford smell while it's getting going.

Thanks for the inputs.

Joe, if you don't like the way K smells when it's starting, try Stubbs. You can get it at Lowes. It doesn't have any additives, just charcoal and binders. No smell starting and very little ash. It's all I use when K isn't on sale for $.25/lb.

Back