Another Weber Performer Facelift.

Just a thought??

DO you think that the full width axle is really needed? I wonder if one could get away with independent bolts at each corner? I am probably complicating this but that's what working nights does to you

It might be possible, but even weber puts an axle on the smaller plastic wheels, I think the install would be sturdier the way the OP did it. I have a newer performer with a round tube frame. Looking at the thickness of the metal I wouldn't trust doing that without an axle, the stainless performer might fair better.

Just a thought??

DO you think that the full width axle is really needed? I wonder if one could get away with independent bolts at each corner? I am probably complicating this but that's what working nights does to you

It might be possible, but even weber puts an axle on the smaller plastic wheels, I think the install would be sturdier the way the OP did it. I have a newer performer with a round tube frame. Looking at the thickness of the metal I wouldn't trust doing that without an axle, the stainless performer might fair better.

Reggie, You could get away with independent bolts on the SS Weber Performer as the square tube frame is very strong.
As Chris Kug pointed out, the newer performer with a round tube frame, I wouldn't trust doing that without an axle.

I hope this helps.

MAkes perfect sense! I am doing a genesis this week so I could likely get away with it. I guess I overestimated the cost of all thread its not as bad as I thought so I will probably go that route time will tell

Reggie , I just saw this pic looking for something else. A Gasser with a lift kit, it does look great.

DLBJrnWh.jpg

how do you guys "Lock" the wheels? is it not an issue while using? I would perhaps do this mod with only two monster wheels on the end and just extend the tubes to make level with no caster on that end.

I just picked up a SS performer with broken (but level) non-rolling swivel casters. It seems easy enough to transport by lifting that end up and rolling on only the bit wheels.

-Garth

So cool. I just picked up the harbor freight wheels to get started on my first retrofit. I'm pumped. I come across literally dozens of grills from work that I fix up to sell now and was thinking of renting out the ones that don't sell for parties and such since I'm out by the Hamptons and this type of stuff is big business. It occurred to me that with the large pneumatic tires, these would be perfect for transporting over rough terrain like on the beach

Back