Another Turkey question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob T.

TVWBB Wizard
I have read that a 20# or bigger bird is hard to do on the smoker. Would it be better to quarter it up before I throw it on? I have 2 free over 20#er's in the freezer from the local stores running specials, and the S.O. picked the biggest ones she could get lol. Not doing them for Thanksgiving, we go to Parents for that. Maybe Next w/e on the smoker.
And....if quartered, should I still expect it all to be done at the same time?

Bob,
Check this out, I did it last Sunday and it turned out perfect!!! Should answer you question about big birds. Just 10 minutes ago I put another 20#'er on this morning for Thanksgiving today!

Big Bird

If it will fit, I'll do it whole. Great pics, looks great. I love Turkey! Nothing like a great Turkey "Coma" when your done eating lol. I'll have to use the ice chest to brine, (With ice in it) I don't have a pan that will fit in the fridge. I don't care about the crispy skin and will do it around 250.

Thanks Bob! You can get a rubbermaid container for 3 bucks from Wallyworld to put the turkey in. One thing about doing big birds is you need to position it correctly on the cooker. You do not want the breast too close to the edge, or the "heat wall" will over cook it. Position it where the back of the legs are closer to the edge than the breast is. You will also at some point need to foil the wing tips to prevent from burning!!! Take pics and let us know how it turns out!

Here is a pic of the one I put on at 5:30 this morning.
Thanksgiving 2004

Nice looking bird. I've got a 9 pound capon ready to go and a 14 pound turkey split to go on the kettle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You can get a rubbermaid container for 3 bucks from Wallyworld to put the turkey in. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm wondering whether anyone besides me worries about using food grade plastic. I've seen references to hefty trash bags, rubbermaid bins, etc. for brining. Not good....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John W.:

I'm wondering whether anyone besides me worries about using food grade plastic. I've seen references to hefty trash bags, rubbermaid bins, etc. for brining. Not good.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I second that. If you have to use a bag get a Turkey oven bag. That's what i used and it worked out great.
icon_biggrin.gif
Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back