Another Smokefire success, chicken leg quarters

C Lewis

Closed Account
When I had purchased my ZGrill pellet cooker several years ago, I was experimenting with leg quarters a lot, as they are (or were) pretty cheap. I found a quick and easy way to do them that gave good results, and since I hadn't had them in a while, I decided that is what is for dinner on the Smokefire tonight. Having not done them on the Smokefire before, I wasn't sure if the direct nature of the SF would alter the results, but all came out very well.

One of the quarters was hit with SPG, the other two with Cuisinart's Blue Ribbon Chicken rub.

20220731_164032.jpg

20220731_164040.jpg

On the top grate, first run at 225 for 40 minutes.

20220731_165810.jpg

I run them for the first 40 min at 225, skin side up, then flip. Then bump the temp to 350, and run for about 20 minutes. Flip again, so that the skin side is back up, and run for another 20. 80 minutes total at this point. You can move to the bottom rack for a few minutes if more browning is needed. These were right about where I wanted them, and temped to 185.

20220731_182435.jpg

20220731_182810.jpg

Plated them up with some fordhook lima beans and cheesy scalloped potatoes for real good and filling dinner. Didn't notice much difference in the SPG vs the Blue Ribbon rub, except the SPG got a tad darker. Both were excellent and had a combination grilled/smoked flavor. Grill fired right up, held temp, (I guess it held temp, I didn't babysit it), and didn't have any grease fires. Thanks for joining me for supper, hope you enjoy the pics.

Charlie

20220731_183456.jpg

Ditto what BFletch said! YUM!
I really like lima beans too but never think of them.
That chicken color is just drool worthy.

Back