Another pulled pork serving question

T Perkins

TVWBB Fan
Im sure this has been covered in some thread here, but I'll ask again anyways.

Doing 3 butts overnight tonite for my kids birthday parties tomorrow. We have one party for his friends from noon to three, and the family party from 4-8pm. Since Im doing an overnite the pork for the first party shouldnt be any problem serving it warm and moist.

My issue is that once I pull and shred the pork, we will not be eating for the second party until
about 5 or 6pm. Not sure how to keep the pulled pork for the second party since it will have been shredded about 7-9 hours prior to serving.

Should I put in foil container and refregerate for a few hours then heat at a low temp in the oven for an hour or so prior to serving for second party? Maybe add some apple juice before reheating?

Or should I put shredded into foil container and just put in a cooler with warm towels for the 7-9 hour timespan?

Thoughts or suggestions???

One suggestion might be to start your overnight cook a little later than usual. In the morning you can pull the first butt(s) you're going to serve, wrap in foil and finish in the oven. Let the butts you're going to serve later finish low and slow on the WSM. Another option that comes to mind is buy butts that are different sizes so you can stager when they'll be finished. Them time frame between the two parties makes refrigerating and reheating tricky. The meat won't have a chance to get real cold in the refrigerator. I've never tried to hold a cook butt that long so I don't know what would happen if you foiled it a put it in a 200 degree over to try to hold it hot.

Problem I have is that I dont really want to have the WSM going in the backyard while the kids are running around during the first party. Was hoping to pull all three tomorrow morning.

I had a similar problem today!
I did an over night last night for a meal at 3:00 today.
At 7:00 am this morning, my Weber was at 267* and the meat was 190*.
I left the lid off for a few minutes then let it cook another 2 hours at 180*, which was actually cooling the meat slightly.
I cut and pulled it and put it into the refrig covered till 2:30 and then into an oven at 200 for 1/2 hour.
At serving, I sprayed some apple juice and mixed it up.
A full success!

Reheating with some apple juice and a little BBQ sauce is a standard process that I have used with solid results.

Mike

Back