Another Possible Consideration for "Which size to get?"

I have had my 18WSM for about 10 years, so there was no 22WSM when I got my 18WSM. But I will be getting a 22WSM soon and it doesn't really have anything to do with capacity. It has to do with the size of the grates and being able to put ribs and full size packers in it without cramming, bending, etc. them to get them under the lid and have them hang over the water pan edge when using the bottom grate. I just want a much easier and joyful experience when I cook 4,5,6 racks of ribs or a full packer since even with rib racks it is a PITA on the 18WSM. Also, when using the bottom grate, I don't like having the meat go beyond the edge of the water pan since the heat is much higher in this outer ring and therefore cooks the meat faster on the edge. And when I load up the 18WSM with butts or chickens, it is unavoidable, so having much bigger grates of the 22WSM is a big bonus here.

Will I never use my 18WSM again?....heck no, I will most likely use it more than the 22WSM, but when I want to do ribs or packers, it will be automatic. Is it necessary to have more room for these, no but I know myself and if I enjoy something more, I will do it more often. Yes it is more money, but for me it is worth it to enjoy the experience and also make it easier for me to cook ribs and packers more often.

Good luck,
Kg

My 2 cents.....if it matters.

I love to take my WSM with me when I go camping. For that reason alone, I loved and miss my 18.5! Love my new 22.5 that I bought when they first came out. It is nice not having to worry about fitting racks and butts into it. As far as fuel consumption goes, I use the same amount of charcoal as I did with the 18.5. The only downside is that it is a little more cumbersome to take camping.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim (the grillaholic):
Nick, welcome aboard!!
Boy, this one is discussed a lot! I myself went with the 18.5" WSM. (Partly because I didn't know about the 22") I have cooked 3 racks of ribs, a Boston Butt, and some desert (baked ciniamon apples) on the 18.5 and still had room. If you plan on cooking foe more than 10/12 people, go with the giant.If you plan on cooking for less than that, the 18.5 will suit your needs.
Its kind of like owning a big SUV. If you have a large familty to drive around, than 17mpg is nesessity. if it is just the 2 of you, then 17 mpg is kind of a waste.(IMO)
either way, you will have yourself an AWESOME SMOKER!!
Good luck, Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DITTO!

I know I have only had 2 smokes so far, but I haven't even used my bottom rack yet. I am glad I went with the 18.5. For the rare times that I have so many people eating that 2 loaded 18.5" racks won't be enough, I guess I will have to supplement with some regular grilling on my Weber gas grill. But for 98% of the time, this size is perfect, if not even a little too big for the two of us.

NickB

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg:
My 2 cents.....if it matters.

I love to take my WSM with me when I go camping. For that reason alone, I loved and miss my 18.5! Love my new 22.5 that I bought when they first came out. It is nice not having to worry about fitting racks and butts into it. As far as fuel consumption goes, I use the same amount of charcoal as I did with the 18.5. The only downside is that it is a little more cumbersome to take camping. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Make a mini smoker to take camping.

Back