Another Newbie Looking for Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris C.

Hi all - first off, this site is such a great resource for getting started with the WSM. My first attempt at using my WSM is this Sunday for a group of friends. I was hoping some of you experts could make sure my plan doesn't have any serious flaws!

Plan is to cook a pork shoulder (butcher didn't ask for a poundage when I ordered, just noted that it would be for smoking) for pulled pork, plus an 8-10 pound brisket, and maybe a few sausages for an appetizer.

My plan is to start the pork shoulder and brisket at about 6 AM, hoping to eat between 4 and 6 PM. I figured I'd throw a variety of sausages on in the early afternoon for eating around 3:00 or 4:00.

Based on conversations I've had with friends that use different types of smokers, they said this timing works at 225-250 all day. But reading some other stuff on this site makes me think I may need more time.

First question to the experts : is this timing realistic, or do I need to start in the wee hours the night before? Second question: which item should go on the top rack, and which should go on the bottom rack?

Last question is on thermometers - I ordered a nice-looking thermometer from Tel Tru that fits nicely through the vent on the lid, but it has a short stalk. I also have a long thermometer (from my Turkey fryer) that would reach down to the upper grate surface. Would this be a better thermometer to use than the Tel Tru that will theoretically be taking the temperature higher up by the lid? Any hesitation on using this type of thermometer?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Chris

Chris-

You may need to adjust your start time.... Here's an estimate:

Pork Butt avg weight 6-8lbs. Figure 2hrs per pound plus 1-1.5 hrs leeway in case you get a stubborn one...You're looking at 13-17hrs. Put it on at midnight or 1a, if it's done early, double-wrap in foil, put in a dry cooler surrounded by towels. It'll keep warm in there for 4-6 hours.

Brisket will take on avg 1.5hrs per pound. If you have a 10 pounder, you're looking at 15 hrs (you can use the same treatment as the butts if it's done early.) I'd put this on at the same time as the butts, on the bottom rack.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, only use time as a guide. Each piece of meat is different, and you need to check 'em to see if they are done. Butts need to go to about 195-200 internal (if they have a bone, it will easily twist out when done, and the meat will "jiggle".) Brisket can be done anywhere between 185-200, you just need to check for tenderness. When you can easily insert and twist a fork in the flat, it's done.

You are definitely being adventurous for your first cook, but if you read everything on this site about cooking butts/brisket, and allow yourself plenty of time, you should be fine.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Rich G.

Chris,

Let me give this a shot. First of all welcome aboard and Good Luck with your cook this weekend. Now...I have done 5-8lb pork butts and some brisket flats and I'll tell you from my experience you might want to start a little earlier. If I had a 7lb'er I would start that thing about 3-4am. I would much rather have to pull it off early and keep it hot than be late with dinner and have people standing around when they should be eating. Figure on 1 1/2 to 2 hrs per pound.

As far as therm's go, the short Tel-Tru will give you the temp at the lid. If I were you, I would run out to Target or some store like that and pick up a probe thermometer like a Taylor to put inside the meat to tell you the internal temp. This is my set up: Similar therm to Tel-Tru through lid, Taylor probe through wood block on top grate and Taylor probe in meat. You got it all covered with that.

Sorry for rambling, any other questions let me know.

I'm doing the same cook this weekend. I have a 7 lb butt and an 11 lb brisket to cook for a Sunday afternoon 4-6pm small party. I have done this cook several times now. My butts average 2.5 hours/pound to reach the magic 195 degree internal temp at 240-260 lid temps - approx 18 hours. My briskets (choice grade untrimmed) have been averaging 1.5 hours/lb to reach 188 degrees - approx 18 hours.

The best way to cook this combination is to put the butt on the top rack and the brisket on the bottom rack. The juices from the butt bastes the brisket and really helps keep it moist. I will fire up my WSM using the Minion method (full ring unlit charcoal, approx 30 lit coals on top) and immediately put the meat on at about 8pm Saturday night. That gives me time to get the temps settled long before I go to bed. I will check the cooker/add water for the last time around midnight and then go to bed. I will try to get up around 5am to check the cooker, spray with apple juice and flip the meat for the first time, check internal temps and add more water (I still use the original WSM pan). (I usually go back to bed or at least nap on the couch until the house wakes up) Sometime mid day to early afternoon the meat will come off, get wrapped in foil and old towels and sit in the cooler for a couple of hours waiting for the guests to arrive.

Give yourself lots of time. It will greatly reduce your stress level come dinner time. The meat can hold in the cooler for several hours and still be quite hot. The meat should not be allowed to drop below 140 degrees unrefrigerated or you risk food poisoning (so "they" say). Good luck.

Thanks, guys, this is really helpful. I guess I'll try to start the night before around midnight... I'm sort of surprised by the timing given the advice I got from my buddy (not an expert BBQ'er, but regularly uses his smoker for these purposes - he said 8-10 hours vs. the 18 hrs I'm hearing).

Do other types of smokers cook at different rates, even though the temps are the same? I don't know a brand, but he has one where the firebox sits sort of alongside the chamber, IIRC.

Given this new timing, maybe one last question. I'm supposed to pick up the meat tomorrow morning around 10:00 AM. If I go right home and get the dry rub on by mid-day, I assume it will be ready by midnight? Also, how important is it to let the meat come down to room temperature (out of the fridge) before putting it in the smoker?

Thanks again!

Chris

Chris-

I reckon that I should have mentioned temps in my post. I generally cook butts and brisket around 230. The temp you cook at will affect the amount of time it takes....

I frequently rub butts/brisket just prior to putting them on the smoker, so you will be fine if you have a few hours to have the rub in contact with the meat.

Take notes of what you do on this cook (rub, cooking temp, times, etc) so you can adjust different variables until you come up with your own procedures.

Post back with results!

Rich G

Sometimes I put the rub on the night before, sometimes just an hour or two before going on the WSM. Both work. I think longer for butts and brisket is good. Shorter for ribs.

I've heard people say bring the meat to room temperature before putting in the BBQ and I've heard people say don't bother. I never have and it's always turned out fine.

Chris:

I've been Q'ing (Weber Kettle) for long time, but have only used the WSM since July. Having said that, I was in your situation 3 weeks ago. I had estimated 10-12 hours for two pork shoulders (13.68 lbs combined weight) and everyone on the forum said plan on longer. Glad I did. 16 hours later at 235* average, I pulled them two hours before the guests arrived. I wrapped them in foil and placed them in an ice chest with cloth towels and they were still hot when I pulled them out to prep and serve. As has been stated, it is better to pull and hold than have people standing around saying, "Is it done yet?"

Second point: I used the mustard rub recipe posted in the cooking section of this site. Excellent! I think that if you are pressed for time, this rub/prep is a lot faster than doing the "Mr. Brown" recipe.

Good Luck and Good Cookin'

Keep on Smokin'

DWL

Thanks again, everyone, for the advice! I picked up the meat this morning, and the butt is weighing in at a hefty 8.95 lbs. Brisket, on the other hand, only 5 lbs, just a flat. Both look great, but obviosuly I'm looking at some disparate cooking times.

The plan is to start the butt around 11:00 tonight and the brisket maybe around 6:00 in the morning. Well, keep your fingers crossed!

Hi again all -

Just a quick note to let you all know how I did. Fired up my WSM for the first time last night at about 10:30 PM. I was cooking by 11:00, using the Minion Method. At that point I only put on the 9 lb. pork butt.

The WSM settled in to a lid temp of about 245*, which I was comfortable with, and it held that temp well all night. I got up many times to go out and look at the thermometer and to fill the water once.

At 6:30, 8 hours in, I sprayed apple juice, filled h2o, and flipped the butt. The meat already showed an inclination to fall apart. I also at this point put the brisket in (5lb.).

During the morning, the WSM was a little harder to control. It started to drizzle here in Chicago, but based on what I've read here that shouldn't have been an issue. I was able to keep it between 230-250 at the lid the whole morning, but it fluctuated a lot. I also noticed during the morning that while the temps looked okay, I wasn't generating much smoke.

Around midday, I started to try to loosen up the ash, which seemed to greatly help the temps and it started smoking again. Early afternoon, I added an extra half chimney of coals and some more wood, as the WSM had gone through most all the fuel.

The butt reached a temp of about 170* early in the afternoon, and never got any higher. I finally took it off around 5:00 - 18.5 hours of cooking - it was absolutley falling apart at that point. It was no problem to pull, and was tasty.

The brisket also never reached my target internal temp, maxing out around 160* in the mid-afternoon. It also turned out well, actually maybe a little too well done. Nonetheless, it was a pretty successful day. I also smoked some andouille and chicken-cilantro sausages for an appetizer, and they were fantasic (2 hours).

I think the biggest challenge was figuring out how to manipulate the temps during the morning and figuring out that I needed more fuel in the early afternoon. I had thought my full chamber was enough for 18 hrs. Also, I think I may get a new thermometer to measure the meat temps. The way the meat turned out just doesn't seem to jive with the temps I was getting all afternoon.

In closing, thanks to VWB.com and those that offered advice. I'm sure I'll have many successful and enjoyable smokes on my WSM in the coming years.

Chris

Chris,

Good job on you overnighter!

I 've noticed, too, that temps will begin to fluctuate in the the morning after holding rock-steady through the night. Here are my thoughts on why this might happen:

- I get up and start to fiddle with the vents because I'm checing the temperature every hour.
- Wind usually picks up in the morning.
- Sun hitting the cooker adds heat.
- The charcoals beginning to burn down, cover with ash, etc.

Keep on smoking!

Chris
If a butt is only at 170? internal it won't be falling apart, and a brisket at 160? won't be dry it will be very tough. I believe you may want to check your thermometers, something just isn't right. Check them in boiling water and see if they read 212?.
Jim

I've found that after 8-10 hours into a Minion method cook, I need to stir/poke the coals (gently to avoid stirring up ash) and my temp fluctuation problems go away. I usually have to do it a couple more times in the later hours of the cook to keep the temps up. A full ring easily lasts 18-19 hours without having to add coals, often longer depending on environmental conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back