Another newbie from the big mitten

Wern S

I've been lurking for some time, there is a lot of great info here. I have two Weber Genesis grills, and have been considering getting a Weber kettle grill. I've cooked ribs, pork loin, and brisket all quite successfully on the Genesis, but I felt like I should really be cooking these over coals. When I started looking into the Weber kettles, I learned about the WSM's and decided that was what I really should get.

After reading the other day about discounted WSM's at Walmart, on a hunch I stopped in at the one by my home. As luck would have it, tucked behind the other grills, which were neatly stacked and marked for sale, I noticed a lone 18" WSM hiding in the back. It was marked off $100, so $199 new, still boxed up. I had been struggling for weeks, trying to decide if I should get an 18 or a 22, then toyed with the idea of going small and getting the 14, so this pretty much resolved my struggle.

I was a bit concerned, as it was clear the box had opened at one point. When I opened it, everything was well packed, and the fasteners were unopened, so everything looked good. Upon completion of assembly, there was only one small issue: the lid did not seat correctly on the drum. The lid was a bit out of round and required a slight "adjustment".

That was Friday. Saturday evening the WSM took her maiden voyage and my first smoked brisket was under way! That, I will save for another thread!

Welcome to the site Wern! Great score on the WSM! I have the 18" and couldn't be happier with it.

You're gonna love it here!

Welcome to the forum Wern. Congrats on that new 18. Great score. You will love food cooked over charcoal. Looking forward to seeing some of your cooks.

Back