Another mounting location thread for offsets.

DKellogg

TVWBB Member
Hey all...

So, I've recently upgraded to an OK Joe Longhorn from the Chargriller. On the CG I was using a dog bowl adapter off the ash drawer/ damper. For the LH, I've fabricated a 16 ga plate with a 1-1/2" close nipple threaded into it to replace the damper plate (so that I can always go back to manual if I need to). It's pretty slick looking... however, in my research I came across a few references to people that have installed the blower to the side of the firebox UNDERNEATH the cooking chamber. I believe this was the recommended position for one of the mass produced temp controllers.

Has anyone here done this using a blower/servo combo (RD3, adaptadamper, microdamper, etc)? Seems that this would offer another layer of weather protection as long as the functionality of the damper and blower remain.

Thanks,
Don

I'm sure there are. I know of at least one person offhand, someone in the UK has done it with a MD, but for the life of me I can't think of their name. This was over a year ago.

I HIGHLY recommend you make or buy a charcoal basket if you plan on using a controller on an offset rig. They aren't made for what you are trying to do; they like a small split every 45min instead ;)

I am using a basket. On my leaky as hell CG i could get 2-1/2 hrs. Thsts enough to get a decent amount if shuteye during comps.

Back