Another Florida Genesis 300 Series Grill...

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Some of us were talking about the condition we find Genesis 300 series grills in, and I believe Dave in KC mentioned not often finding that much rust.

Here's a good Florida Genesis cabinet for you:

D2AR4tX.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/861130897554759/

Wow, I am not sure that would look that bad if I drove it around the Wisconsin roads for a whole winter.

Anyway, it is interesting that the back/side panels don't seem to be quite so badly affected. Oh, and I didn't even realize that was a stainless model until I looked at the listing. What a shame that Weber didn't finish it off with stainless.

My friend, who has since sold his sheet metal shop, made me 304 stainless bottoms and backs for these grills. The bad part, though, is that many like this grill also have rusted side frames. Since the frame and metal siding are all integrated ("unibody" vs. "body on frame" a la auto mfg.) it is not practical to fabricate stainless replacements for the sides at a cost-effective rate. So, if your frame bottom is rusted beyond recovery where the wheels go in you are out of luck. Many that I see listed here have that problem.

Well said. Thanks for the insight Jon.
I think this goes to show that the 1000 series and Silver B variant with side control burners was one of the best designs they had.

Last edited:
Jon:
That looks like it was sitting in salt water or was on a boat being hit by waves! Sure am glad my 2007 doesn't have that issue.....

My friend, who has since sold his sheet metal shop, made me 304 stainless bottoms and backs for these grills. The bad part, though, is that many like this grill also have rusted side frames. Since the frame and metal siding are all integrated ("unibody" vs. "body on frame" a la auto mfg.) it is not practical to fabricate stainless replacements for the sides at a cost-effective rate. So, if your frame bottom is rusted beyond recovery where the wheels go in you are out of luck. Many that I see listed here have that problem.

Jon, yes this is the problem. And that notch in the side pieces which holds the floor on each side seems to trap moisture. Meaning rust will spread both ways. These side panels are frame and panel in one piece and to replace them is crazy expensive.

But the ad description is funny: Condition good.... What does bad look like in Florida then? lol

Last edited:
Jon, yes this is the problem. And that notch in the side pieces which holds the floor on each side seems to trap moisture. Meaning rust will spread both ways. These side panels are frame and panel in one piece and to replace them is crazy expensive.

But the ad description is funny: Condition good.... What does bad look like in Florida then? lol

Hey, it is all in how you spin it! At least the asking price is only $50. If you really liked the stainless and the sear burner, you could merge what this seller has with a plain 300 that has intact sides and bottom and come up with one nice grill. But, I doubt your work would net you very much profit.

Back