Another Dead Summit

Roy-Parallax

TVWBB Pro
I've previously shared about my adventures picking up an old Summit and then repurposing many of its parts. The grills and side burner parts wound up on my 2005 Platinum, the frame adapted to a 1000 13-bar firebox which is still under construction.

Tonight I'm picking up another Summit. This time it's not free. Samuel and I are going in on it together and I'm driving down tonight with my friend to get it. This time, the grates are mine (for my 2000), and the side burner (as much of it as he wants) is Samuel's. The rest may simply get recycled or I may get ambitious and try to figure out a way to lengthen the frame to hybridize my 2000. We'll see. My sense is it would be easier to await another 2004-2005 Platinum, as the frame is a much closer match. At the same time, if I can discern a not too challenging way to do it without welding, then maybe.

Well, Samuel will be happy to get his side burner trivet. Those grates look pretty beat for stainless steel though. I know everyone is going to want to know the condition of the cookbox, but judging by the grates it's going to be bad.

Well, Samuel will be happy to get his side burner trivet. Those grates look pretty beat for stainless steel though. I know everyone is going to want to know the condition of the cookbox, but judging by the grates it's going to be bad.
We'll see. I'm burning 'em off now. Can take another photo after they're scraped clean.

The box actually looks surprisingly good. Nothing like the last Summit. Didn't see any burn marks but will look again in daylight.

We'll see. I'm burning 'em off now. Can take another photo after they're scraped clean.

The box actually looks surprisingly good. Nothing like the last Summit. Didn't see any burn marks but will look again in daylight.
I hope they clean up. You might have to take a wire wheel to them to get the rust off of them.

The photo was deceptive. There's no rust. A whole lot of soot and grease.

Here they are burned off in the 900 and scraped down a bit with the CharGon. As much as I could in the heavy rain that's falling tonight.

IMG_20220302_223138(1).jpgIMG_20220302_223138.jpg

They definitely look better. Still, it's a shame they don't look nicer for what they cost to replace.

They definitely look better. Still, it's a shame they don't look nicer for what they cost to replace.
I'm not sure what you're saying, Steve. To me, they look great. Better than the set I got off the other Summit. Those had some imperfection in a couple of rods. Some evidence of decay. Not a big deal but it's there. These are dirty but I see no damage. The CharGon moves across them effortlessly, as if they were brand new. Grates aren't going to stay clean forever and that's fine. They're not supposed to be clean. Not sure how seasoned they are. Will know more once I use them.

Well, if they are too nice, you would hesitate to cook on them! Like the guy that polishes his flavorizer bars, it's only new once and then you fire up the grill and cook on it.

Those grates are clean enough to eat off of, in my view. Matter of fact, they could use a little more "seasoning", if you ask me.

EDIT: Let me say, and this is purely my own personal preference and opinion...but you shouldn't see bare shiny metal on properly seasoned grates. I think I know what Steve was trying to say, though...they should be gold-plated for what they cost new!

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you're saying, Steve. To me, they look great. Better than the set I got off the other Summit. Those had some imperfection in a couple of rods. Some evidence of decay. Not a big deal but it's there. These are dirty but I see no damage. The CharGon moves across them effortlessly, as if they were brand new. Grates aren't going to stay clean forever and that's fine. They're not supposed to be clean. Not sure how seasoned they are. Will know more once I use them.
All I'm saying is that those are very expensive to replace in my my opinion. The ones you have there are very nice for their age, great pickup!

Thanks. I'm thrilled to have two sets of them. Not sure what I'll do with my now sidelined 7mm BBQParts grates. They're excellent too but these Summit grates are my favorites.

Roy, The BBQParts.com ones should be 8mm. If so, I would think someone here would want a set of US made, 304 stainless grates like those.

Hit those grates with a stainless wire wheel and they will be like new.

I agree with Bill. If you grab an angle grinder and a 4" wire wheel and get after them, they will look new in 15 minutes.

I like his reviews. Very professional and comprehensive. But, in this case, if you don't have one yet and want to buy one to clean a set of grates, I would suggest to everyone to simply buy the HF grinder. It is more than capable for this job as well as most jobs by the average garage mechanic. If you find out later that you want something nicer or more powerful, then it becomes a great second tool for a minimal cost (under $15).

Last edited:
I'm not seeing a need for an angle grinder. Not for these grates anyway. Maybe a good washing in the kitchen sink and then seasoning by onion.

Back