Another cart thread

Greg Powers

TVWBB Super Fan
I've been keeping an eye out for something to make a cart from. Last night we went to a birthday party and when I pull in the drive, right in front of me is a gas grill that appeared to be destined for the landfill. Inside the conversation was short:
Me: "Larry did your grill die?"
Larry: "Yep, got my new one today!"
"Want me to haul it off for you?"
"That would be great!"
I did tell him what I had in mind, this is what it looked like shortly after I started deconstruction this morning:

IMG_1786.jpg

Here it is stripped down to the frame and after spending a few minutes with a pressure washer:

IMG_1787.jpg

And back together with the 22.5" WSM on board. Sooner than later I plan to replace the wood with metal but I made do with what I had on hand today.

IMG_1789.jpg

I adapted the burner so I could use a 1# propane bottle, flame looks more yellow than it should but it should light a chimney.

IMG_1790.jpg

Cover fits and I added a couple of hooks to hang stuff. The lid will sit on the side shelf.

IMG_1791.jpg

Having had very little experience with gas grills, I knew the yellow flame wasn't right but didn't know why. Thanks to google, and removing the spider web from the burner tube, the flame now looks much better. :)

Nice work. I would make the back of the cart solid (metal) to make it more rigid (stronger) and also for wind barrier.I love the fact that it has the side
burner.
Cant wait to see the finish product.
Thank you for sharing
Peter

That's turning trash into something very useful, great thinking out of the box. I use the side burner of my gas grill to light the chimney, so I can say that it is the best and easiest way I've done it, except now, yours is even easier and more convenient........great job................d

Thanks everyone!
Peter, I still have the original SS back, but the WSM is several inches wider than the cart so I'll have to figure out how to offset the panel without making it look bad.

Thanks everyone!
Peter, I still have the original SS back, but the WSM is several inches wider than the cart so I'll have to figure out how to offset the panel without making it look bad.

Copy that. Im sure you will get it done just fine. Would love to see the finish cart when ever done.
Cheers
Peter

OK, I think I'm done. The wood floor has been replaced with aluminum diamond plate;

Used some of the scrap to set the back off 3" to clear the WSM. And used one of the original doors to make a shelf for the mini to sit on. Don't think I'll cook on the mini that way but it will be a handy place to store it;
IMG_1794-1.jpg

Wow! Lookit that! Excellent ! The new floor and back worked out great..... I like the idea of storing the mini under there. Very cool build , brother. :wsm:

Back